PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your stroller in the grocery store/ target?

BeachBum
07-18-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm stroller shopping, and keep wondering if I'm going to use it in the grocery store/ walmart type places. I didn't with my son, b/c I could put him in the cart. But with two, I'm wondering if it would be easier to use the basket on my stroller. I guess the other option is to sling one?

If I do think that I'll shop with the stroller then I need to make sure I find one with a big basket.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ETA: I'm having twins, plus I have an older child that will be 3.5. I posted in the multiples section, but didn't clarify that :)

nupe
07-18-2008, 01:25 PM
I put DS2 in the stroller EVERYTIME I go to the groc store. THen DS1 helps me push the big cart (or mini dual basket holder cart), or the stroller, depending on the surrounding cart traffic. If DS1 not there, I push the stroller and pull the cart behind me. I figure the stroller is more comfy and cleaner than the cart. I sometimes just push the stroller and use my reusable WF bag as a shopping bag in the store. I don't have a heavy duty basket on my Inglesina.

overcome
07-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I only have one DC, but I do use the stroller in places like Target, Dollar Store, etc. In the grocery store, I always use a cart.

HTH

KrisM
07-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't think I've ever even considered taking a stroller in Target or the grocery store. At first, I just put the carseat in the basket and then I'll sling. But, DS was 2 when DD was born and now DD is 2 when DS2 is born, so I only have 1 kid to put in the cart/stroller. I imagine if I didn't have a 2+ year old who could walk next to the cart, I might bring a stroller. Actually, I think I'd just get one of those carts with more seats. Seems like I'd have to make a lot more trips to the store if I had to fit everything in a stroller basket.

ETA: I need to pay more attention to *where* posts are when I use the "New Posts" button. Didn't realize this was in multiples, so my answer is pretty useless! Sorry!

aim3304
07-18-2008, 03:03 PM
If you have twins, yes, I think you will use your stroller quite often in these types of stores. I always thought it was too cumbersome to push a double stroller AND pull a shopping cart. And until the babies could walk, I didn't want to carry two babies into the store and then put them in a cart. So, yes, I relied heavily on my stroller basket or a hand-held shopping basket to hold my purchases. Now, finally, the babies are 16 mo and I have a 4 year old, so we can all walk into the stores that have 3-seater shopping carts and we are set. Just be sure to have a good stroller that you can maneuver w/ one hand - that is a life-saver!

Melaine
07-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Absolutely do.....it's really the only way with twins. When they were little, couldn't fit both carseats in the cart, when they got bigger, the only places that have double carts suitable for little little ones is sams (around here) and Kroger (I really enjoy boing to those two places because of it). My girls are annoyingly particular about both being "the same". Whether I like it or not, one could NEVER sit in the cart while I was wearing the other. The same reason that we got rid of the front-back (whatever they are called) double stroller. The one in the back couldn't handle being slighted.
I have those stroller hooks and hang bags all over my stroller. You can get a suprising amount of stuff that way.

lorinick
07-18-2008, 03:58 PM
I use the stroller all the time in Taget and any other store for Quick trips. When food shopping I use the cart. But it's easier for me to take out my Mac stroller than fitting my cart cover on. I don't worry about the basket. If I'm going to buy alot I'll use a cart. Or when mall shopping when I know I'll be buying alot I use the Metro Lite with large basket. But I'm in love with my Mac.

novmber
07-25-2008, 11:12 AM
i've never taken the twins to do full grocery shopping - we just do that without the girls.

i do take them to target all the time but i don't usually buy all that much unless i have someone with me to push a cart. . . .

HIU8
07-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't have twins, and now I just put DD in the front and DS either sits in the back or walks. However, when DD was much smaller I wore her and DS rode in the front. If I just had DD I would either use the universal carrier with the basket underneath and a cart, just the universal carrier or put her carseat in the large part of the cart (I realize you can't really do this with twins). With twins I might wear one and leave the other in the carseat and place that in the large part of the cart. I would also put the small hand carry baskets underneath to create more space to hold grocery items.

mamaoftwins
07-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I always use our stroller for shopping! I'm a SAHM and we don't have any family nearby to watch the boys, so I always have them with me. Everywhere. We have a Graco DuoGlider LX with the HUGE basket, so I use that for shopping. Groceries, Target, whatever. This was our first stroller, great for snapping in both carseats, and since they could sort of sit up around 5 mos, I've used it without the carseats. We're hanging onto it for awhile b/c I honestly can't imagine shopping or running errands without it.

If DH is with me, we use the Maclaren Twin Triumph for going out. Just got this stroller for walks, pretty much wherever I don't need that huge basket on the Graco. The baskets are very small on the Mac, so it wouldn't work for groceries, but it's much lighter than the Graco and a much better drive. So, with DH, one of us will push the boys in the stroller and the other the cart. Except for Sam's now, where we can use just the cart since it fits 2 in the seat. We have very rarely worn the boys out (we have 2 Bjorns that we got as gifts, but I don't love them and wouldn't recommend them to be honest), and I have never worn one and had the other in a stroller or cart.

gatorsmom
07-27-2008, 11:27 PM
When my oldest 2 children were 2years old and younger, I always took the MBUD to Target. I hooked a basket onto those Stroller Swivelers and let it hang from them off the handle bar. I'd fill that and the underneath stroller basket and that was my shopping trip. Even with the Target basket hanging off the back it was very sturdy. Also, it forced me to limit my purchases ;).

I brought the MBUD for a couple of reasons. First, fewer germs for the boys to pick up (they weren't touching surfaces in the dirty cart). Second, I could keep them strapped in when they decided they wanted to climb out). Third, they were more comfortable in the stroller. They were a lot less wiggly in their stroller because they were used to sitting in it.

I used to get a lot of looks but I didn't care. Especially in the beginning, when DS2 was in a Snugride, I could have DS1 hop into one seat of the MBUD and then click the Snugride into the second seat and away we'd go. I LOVED that!

michlyn
08-04-2008, 12:26 AM
I have only gone to stores like Target or BRU with my boys - they are still in the double snap and go - I bought a large Mommy Hook (like a big carabiner clip) to hang stuff off of it. If I had to do a full grocery run (which I tend to do at night when I can go by myself), I'd sling one of my boys and put the other in the cart.