PDA

View Full Version : Is your DH a trendy dresser?

Corie
07-18-2008, 06:54 PM
My DH is not. He is Brooks Brothers by day and casual old Levi
jeans on weekends.

How about your husband, boyfriend, etc.?

fortato
07-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh goodness no... unless Hawaiian shirts and cargo pants are the trend.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
07-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Nope, DH wears shorts, tshirts, and flip flops everyday. When he puts on a polo shirt we joke that he is going to the prom. :ROTFLMAO:

mom2chloe
07-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Yes, my significant other is TRENDY! He wears button downs and slacks/jeans most of the time, but he's ALL style... always very trendy looking.. might be the accessories...

80's glasses.. different colors, prints, etc... whatever is hot right now... always changing his hair, facial hair, etc... not a white tee in sight...all black tee's/socks...I don't think he owns white socks...not even one pair.

He knows he looks good, and he takes care of himself.

wendibird22
07-18-2008, 07:12 PM
He dreams of being trendy, but isn't most days. Work attire is Dockers, dress shirt and tie (I try to at least get him some trendy shirt and tie colors). Weekends are jeans and old t's. He does own one pair of trendy, dark wash denim pants and a pair a square toed black Kenneth Cole dress shoes. He even surprised himself with how "trendy" those two purchases were and the ladies at work even complimented him on them wishing their SOs would wear pants like that.

kijip
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Trendy? Not specifically. Very well dressed and stylish? Um, yeah. Ridiculously well groomed? Yes. The man spends more time and money on his appearance than I ever will.

niccig
07-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Trendy? Not specifically. Very well dressed and stylish? Um, yeah. Ridiculously well groomed? Yes. The man spends more time and money on his appearance than I ever will.

My husband is the same. He likes to shop. I hate shopping. I actually take him with when I can, as he has better fashion sense than I do. His wardrobe is easily double mine, I buy a few things and wear them to death as I hate shopping.

MontrealMum
07-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Only because I pick out/buy most of his clothes :loveeyes:

egoldber
07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
jeans on weekends.

:ROTFLMAO: That's pretty much a perfect description of DH.

mecawa
07-18-2008, 07:54 PM
jeans on weekends.

How about your husband, boyfriend, etc.?

This is my husband EXACTLY!!!! LOL

ILoveLucy
07-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Not at all. He, too, is Brooks Brothers by weekday, Levi's and Converse by weekend. He is very old school, even wears a suit on Sunday mornings, which is a rarity at our church these days. I happen to love the way he looks. :)

mdb78
07-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Not really... His look is the I guess you would say surfer look (outfits from brands like Quiksilver). I don't mind, he looks good in it. He likes to crack on his friends when he catches them wearing Seven jeans and Dolce and Gabana sunglasses.

SnuggleBuggles
07-18-2008, 09:19 PM
:ROTFLMAO:Your question makes me laugh!

Let me put it this way- he is as trendy as I want him to be because he could care less about clothes. I do 99% of his shopping and he'll wear whatever I bring home. It did take him a while to wear this heathered burgandy shirt (he called it "pink) baseball style shirt from the Gap but he did eventually wear it.

He is a software engineer in a very casual company. There is no distinction between weekend and weekday clothes- jeans and t-shirts.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
07-18-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't think he owns white socks...not even one pair.

Dh wants to know what socks he wears to exercise in? :)

Beth

g-mama
07-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I guess you could say he's trendy. His wardrobe is mostly from J. Crew and Banana Republic. He wears Adidas old-school sneakers or low top Chuck Taylors. For shirts, lots of vintage t-shirts for casual wear. He's never owned Levis.

He definitely cares about fashion and loves to shop. My friends tell me that he's a "cool dad." :)

My dh has a better sense of style than I do, though mine has improved greatly since being with him. He can pick out clothes for me that are much better than what I'd pick for myself because I tend to play it more safe and conservative.

momtoonegirl
07-18-2008, 11:18 PM
I would not consider my DH trendy at all. 90% of his wardrobe, work and weekend, is from Lands' End. He wears a sportcoat, shirt, tie, and dress pants/khakis to work, and jeans/khakis/shorts, polo shirts and tees, and sneakers/sandals on the weekends.

kozachka
07-19-2008, 04:12 AM
While my DH does pretty well, if conservative, during the work week (he needs to wear expensive suits and ties), he lives in baggy t-shirts and shorts/Levi's jeans the rest of the time. I insist he at least wears polo shirt when we go out. He does like to shop at high end stores but does not last too long there and manages to pick out the non-trendy clothes similar to those that he already has. He has a pair of designer jeans but does not wear them often.

If left to his own devices, DH would dress way too casually for my taste. It worked when we were in SoCal but does not work in Ukraine where people take time and money to look good. Unfortunately, the trendy guy clothes that I see in magazines don't seem to work on DH (he is neither tall nor slender) nor does he like them. I'd like to make DH's wardrobe more trendy but don't know how. At the moment, I am working on making my own wardrobe more trendy as I am a Brooks Brothers girl during the week myself but I've been branching out :loveeyes: and shopping NM, Saks and Bloomingdales sales for the nicer casual things.

shilo
07-19-2008, 12:34 PM
:
He is a software engineer in a very casual company. There is no distinction between weekend and weekday clothes- jeans and t-shirts.

yeah, that. he does own a few nicer/trendier things and will wear them when guilt tripped into it for a nicer occasion by moi. but otherwise the only variation to t-shirt and jeans is shorts and keens during the summer vs. new balance trail runners in the winter with his jeans and a mountain hardware over the top if it's truly nippy.

when he wears a polo or dockers to work his boss freaks out and asks if he has an interview somewhere :)

lori

elephantmeg
07-19-2008, 01:40 PM
I think DH is the oposite of trendy. Basketball shorts and printed white t-shirts when not at work. Khakis and polo shirt for work and church. We went to Red Lobster on Thurs night for our anniversary. Short and printed t-shirt. Sigh. I give up. He does have a pair of navy pants and a dress shirt for weddings. He won't get a suit.

work look (he's the tall one, 2nd from left)
http://www.megley.com/photos/trips/rocco06/PICT3293.JPG.html

otherwise look (and this is as good as it gets) he's on the end with the DS
http://www.megley.com/photos/argus/acgg6/PICT5776.JPG.html

ETA-Lori we married the same guy, huh?

StantonHyde
07-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I hooted with laughter when I saw the title of this post. Let's just say that I had to put a moratorium on logo tshirts when we go out for date night. We were in a nice restaurant and I saw he had on a brown long sleeved t shirt. Everyone kept looking at his back. When we got up I followed him out and saw the shirt "XYZ Hospital ER You beat em, we treat em" with a bat and knife logo. WTF?????????????

His work clothes are scrubs. He got elected to department chair and now has to wear a suit once a month and a shirt and tie at least once a week. he looks very sharp in them. If I could wear scrubs to work, I would too!

Otherwise its REI shorts and Old Navy tshirts. Plus he always wears socks because he has fungus toenails--looks great with the Birkenstocks.

But then I am not a fashion maven my self. So I really don't care. Besides he always makes me look good :love5:

mdb78
07-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Plus he always wears socks because he has fungus toenails--looks great with the Birkenstocks.

My DH wears socks with his sandals too! I really never asked him why. Thank God not with his flip flops. :)

ThreeofUs
07-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Funny! I love some of the replies, too.

DH dressed like "Gilligan" - his description - when we got married. He spiffed up a lot when we got married by buying 2 suits, dress shirts, and non-leather ties; previously he had none. :)

Now that he's doing a lot more meetings with funders, etc., as we're working on creating a Sustainability Institute, he's showing a lot more interest in being well-dressed. I'm constantly surprised to see his fashion sense emerge - he's got fantastic taste.

MontrealMum
07-19-2008, 09:21 PM
He spiffed up a lot when we got married by buying 2 suits, dress shirts, and non-leather ties; previously he had none. :)

Ah, the 80's and leather ties - good memories. At least your DH was slightly cooler than my dad and his skinny knit ties ;)

R2sweetboys
07-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Dh wants to know what socks he wears to exercise in? :)

Beth

That's so funny b/c that was my first thought when I read that! :ROTFLMAO:

Globetrotter
07-20-2008, 07:50 PM
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
Let's just say he lives in free company tshirts and polo shirts, jeans and an old pair of dusty dress shoes.

I don't care what he wears to work or casual outings as they are all technie nerds (even in the higher positions, noone dresses up) but he wears dress shirts or nicer tshirts (mostly sporting pictures of national parks :ROTFLMAO: ) to parties. I've given up!

Kris

trales
07-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Mine is a mix, Banana Republic outlet at work and Lands End suits, patagonia on the weekend. He does not own jeans, though I found a pair at BR I want him to try on. He only wears boat shoes or his Born dress shoes.

WatchingThemGrow
07-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I think he could step it back up a notch. Neither of us desire to be on the cutting edge, but lately, we've both gotten SO boring in our wardrobes, probably out of practicality and shared closet issues.

He used to do the nicer Eddie Bauer/Nordstrom shirts for work with nice slacks and a tie, but he's gone a LOT more casual in the past 2 years. Basically, if they sell it at REI, but it's not really meant to be worn for anything strenuous, that's what he wears.

I need to put in a plug for fashion. Thanks for the reminder.

MelissaTC
07-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Not really.

He wears khakis, button down shirts or polos to work. He is the best dressed guy there usually because he too is a techie and most of those guys show up in jeans and t-shirts.

On the weekends, he is in shorts and t-shirts or polo shirts.

He is starting to take a more active interest in his clothing and he has improved so much in terms of just looking nice, not dorky. But he still has some ways to go.

ilfaith
07-21-2008, 08:59 AM
These days my husband works from home...which means he's usually in an undershirt and gym shorts until around lunchtime...then he'll take a walk or a dip in the pool (or go to the gym if he has more time), shower and change into a golf shirt and twill shorts. I wouldn't say he's a bad dresser...just a boring one.

When he does go into the office, it's either a golf shirt or one of those Brooks Brothers no-iron button downs, with khakis. He does have some very nice suits, and wears expensive ties and shoes.

Once upon a time (and many pounds ago) he was a trendy dresser. I think part of the issue is that he's heavier now than he wants to be, so he doesn't bother buying nice things for himself in a size he doesn't want to wear. Shoes and ties are the exception, since size is not an issue. (Haven't we all gone bathing suit shopping and come home with a pair of sandals instead?)

happy2bamom
07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I just had a conversation with DH about his choice of clothes. He looks really nice for work, but that is where it ends. He owns two pairs of cotton, draw string shorts that fit (one orange and one grey) and ALL of his t-shirts are Dallas Cowboys. So he wears a combination of those items for everything (ie, mowing the lawn, going to a social gathering, hanging-out around the house). Oh yeah, always white socks with ugly tennis shoes too. Lovely, huh?

Dcclerk
07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Only because I pick out/buy most of his clothes :loveeyes:

Yep, I can't remember the last time DH bought his own clothes. I am quite sure, however, that it was not pretty and involved a silk shirt and very wide legged jeans.

Now, he is definitely the most stylish in his office (and, to be honest, of anyone else I know in his field), and he proudly admits that I made him that way.

I just need to work on my own wardrobe.... :)

maestramommy
07-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Nope. Dh is LL Bean at work, and Tshirt jeans at home. He also rides his bike to work, which means Tshirt shorts or sweats. He has one good suit and I think he needs a new one because for whatever reason the pants are looking a little short.

Thatchermom
07-21-2008, 08:56 PM
If Hawaiian shirts, bowling shirts, embroidered/colorblock Cuban shirts are trendy, he would be. I'm thinking funky would be a better description. Those are pretty much every day clothes for him as a pastor. Playing at home casual is khaki shorts and any number of vintage In-n-Out shirts or a pithy tshirt he tries to match to the occasion...when DD was born his shirt read "Consciousness: that annoying time between naps." Yesterday before leaving for camp with the Jr High kids he was wearing a "Jesus would ride a bike" tshirt. I don't even know where he gets this stuff!

kijip
07-21-2008, 10:05 PM
If Hawaiian shirts, bowling shirts, embroidered/colorblock Cuban shirts are trendy, he would be. I'm thinking funky would be a better description. Those are pretty much every day clothes for him as a pastor. Playing at home casual is khaki shorts and any number of vintage In-n-Out shirts or a pithy tshirt he tries to match to the occasion...when DD was born his shirt read "Consciousness: that annoying time between naps." Yesterday before leaving for camp with the Jr High kids he was wearing a "Jesus would ride a bike" tshirt. I don't even know where he gets this stuff!

Maybe that's how pastors and ministers are! We had a priest who wore nothing fancier than athletic shorts, sometimes ones that said Budweiser on them on Sunday under his cassock. :ROTFLMAO: When asked about it by someone in the congregation that saw him putting his robe on, he pointed out that he'd taken a vow of poverty and free shorts were free shorts. :hysterical:

overcome
07-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Ummmm...no.

He wears Tshirts and cargo shorts in summer (refuses to wear flip flops, sandals, anything except socks and sneakers) and Tshirts, sweatshirts (nicer ones, not just plain old cheapie ones), and jeans in winter. He does wear polo shirts (the style, not the brand!) as well.

Whenever we have to go somewhere special, it is extremely stressful b/c we are always scrambling to find something suitable for him.

Makes me crazy!

bubbaray
07-22-2008, 12:17 AM
My DH is an engineer. Need I say more? I kid him about wearing a pocket protector (he doesn't).

knaidel
07-22-2008, 11:24 AM
IWe were in a nice restaurant and I saw he had on a brown long sleeved t shirt. Everyone kept looking at his back. When we got up I followed him out and saw the shirt "XYZ Hospital ER You beat em, we treat em" with a bat and knife logo. WTF?????????????

ROTFL-- I think that was the funniest thing I read on this thread.

brittone2
07-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Ummm....no.

When he was working, it was khakis and a polo pretty much every day. The occasional pair of jeans thrown in (was allowed at his employer). And a lab coat and goggles ;)

Now he's a grad student and it is tees and shorts pretty much daily. And a lab coat and goggles again ;) He bike commutes too so it involves an extra change of shorts/tee as needed.

When he re-enters the work force in 1.5-2 years I'll be helping him update his wardrobe and interview attire.

skatkerz
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
No! Concert t-shirts & old jeans that are way too long & baggy at the ankles. But I overlook it since he's got everything else I need in a man!

jamsmu
07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
DH is a total shoe guy. I swear, he's Imelda Marcus' son. Or twin brother. Or something. Because DH has to have THE shoes. All the time.

As for clothing, he wasn't until...

Late one night at the holidays, he decided he needed jeans for a party. So, in nordstrom, he wondered in to the designer jeans area. He had NO idea that they were designer, just saw jeans and asked for help. Never looked at the price tag. So, the sales assoc is running around totally outfitting him. I'm there, keeping quiet. I figured he knew what he was doing and wanted to get trendy. And trendy he did!

several hundred $$ later he left Nordstrom with hemmed Sevens jeans (2 pair), and 2 brand name, button down dress to casual shirts AND several Calvin Klein Under-Armour-ish undershirts. And another pair of Eccos.

I've wanted to blog about it for so long! He was shocked at the price. But he loves his 7s more than any other pair of jeans. He actually feels good in them.

saschalicks
07-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Yes he is! He was before I met him, but now I just shop for him most of the time. He resists some things. Then gets a TON of compliments on what I buy him and he realizes I was right. ;)