PDA

View Full Version : WTH are these people thinking?

wendibird22
07-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Okay, first some background. I live in a small semi-rural town. The "village" is sidewalked but the "town" is not. There's a couple who live in "town" who own a golf cart. Not sure why...they don't live on or even near a golf course, they live on a street with only 10 houses, there's no sidewalks, and they don't live in a "housing development" type area where they'd use the cart to go to a community pool or playground. They basically use it to ride up and down their short street.

So, tonight DH, DD, and I were out to dinner and we spot this couple and their 1 year old riding the golf cart through the village to the grocery store and pharmacy (about 4 miles from their home). The wife is holding the toddler on her lap. And they are driving it on a pretty major road (4 lanes and used by tractor trailers as a major cut through of the state) through a traffic light. Oh, and did I mention this busy street is under major road construction. I couldn't believe my eyes. Even DH who is a bit liberal when it comes to safety (he thinks the bike helmet law is stupid) couldn't believe they'd do that. All is would take is one careless driver, one person not paying attention, or one big rig to not see that tiny little golf cart....

If you want to put your life in jeopardy then by all means, drive your little cart to the store, but don't take your small child!!!

salsah
07-18-2008, 09:39 PM
they are not thinking.

MamaMolly
07-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Is it even legal in your state to use these on the street? I know it varies. And don't go by if they have a tag or not. I know in some states they have license plates but are still not allowed on public roads (confusing, I agree, but true none the less.) It may be worth it to check up on this. If they aren't supposed to be on the street or have children on it I'd try to bring it up with them or maybe even call the police.

Darwinism in action is not a pretty sight.

elizabethkott
07-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Oh. My. Goodness.
I'm hoping that they made it to and from the store safely.
But ITA, you should report it to the police. Let them handle it.

wendibird22
07-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah, DH and I wondered about the traffic law in regards to the golf cart being street legal or not. Since we live in a big farm land area, lots of people drive their lawn mowers, farm equipment, etc down the road or off to the side of the road, which is what they do with the cart (oh, they do have one of those "nice" orange reflector triangles on the back...guess they think this makes them more visible?!).