PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty pricing cribs

jmorisi555
07-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Difficulty pricing cribs

I’m having a hard time finding cribs based on pricing. I have yet to come across a single crib manufacturer that lists prices on their website. I’ve got a very structured search I’d like to run, if only there was somewhere to run it.

Is there anyone in the crib selling business out there that can show me a secret way to price cribs?

Here’s what I’m looking for:
1. Crib comes in a dark finish (preferably black)
2. Price < $500
3. Crib not made in Asia

So far all I’ve found is the PALI – Milano, but the reviews on shipping times and customer service have me worried.

What I’m left to do is find random internet or local crib retailers and then ask them my questions listed above. It’s all a bit more time consuming than I had hoped. I’m also getting the feeling from retailers that I’m annoying because I’m not shopping their preferred way, pick out a crib I like and then ask how much it costs.

What I’ve realized is there’s something economists call asymmetric information going on here. Consumers have no way to aggregate and compare information about our crib purchases. This results in unfair pricing.

I do love the book, but even the best Baby Bargains can do is list a price range.

There are really two groups who have access to this pricing information. The crib manufactures themselves and the consumers. If we, as a group, could collect the pricing data we would be on the road to becoming more financially empowered.

What do you think about adding a section to the website, extending the crib product reviews (http://www.windsorpeak.com/reviews/items/Cribs--Nursery-Furniture/index.htm) to include pricing for specific cribs?

I’m a computer guy and would be happy to offer my time to develop something like this to put the purchasing power in the right hands.

alandenisefields
09-06-2008, 01:30 PM
A belated thanks for your thread---we agree, we would like to do provide more of this info. It would be great if folks could provide the price they pay for their crib. And for more reviews.

Please email us off the boards (hit the contact us button at the bottom of this page).

Thanks!
Alan & Denise
authors

SunshineNYC
09-24-2008, 05:14 PM
I spent a lot of time researching cribs before buying the Romina Adamo crib, and it's going to be very difficult for you to find something that meets ALL of your criteria.

I too didn't want a crib made in Asia. That knocks out quite a few manufacturers. Pali stills makes some of their cribs in Italy, but I emphasize "some." You need to check on each model. Pali has one called "April" that's made in Italy. I found it under the name "Fran" at www.albeebaby.com for $350, but it's only available in a cherry finish.

Romina makes all of their cribs in Romania, and Mother Hubbard's Cupboards makes some cribs in Canada and others in Hungary. Unfortunately, if you want high quality and safety, you may have to pay more than $500 for it. We paid $595 for our Romina crib, but we got the color we wanted (Bruno Rosso-- a very dark brown), and the crib came in less than 2 weeks because it was in stock in Romina's NJ warehouse. Romina has a color called Veluto Nero, which appears to be black.

Romina has excellent customer service here in the U.S. I got a live person right away each time I called. I'm sorry I don't have the number handy, but you can find it on their website. Maybe you can call them and find out who, if anyone, sells their cribs in your area. Perhaps the one I bought is available for under $500, or perhaps there is another model that is cheaper.

I found Mother Hubbard's customer service fairly helpful as well, so give them a call.

It takes some time, but between email, phone, and the Internet, you can get the information you want. I just don't know if you'll get exactly what you want.