PDA

View Full Version : Slight pg panic...

Twoboos
07-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Um, this is going to officially qualify as "Stupid Question of the Day." Coupled with a bit of TMI.

I got my period last Fri. After thoroughly enjoying many drinks at a wedding the next night (oops!), DH and I did the deed, unprotected. Until I stated googling, I was certain that I could NOT get pg at that time. (yes, I realize I should have paid more attention in high school health class!!)

I am now having a panic attack. Please tell me I'm unlikely to be pg since I don't ovulate until my period is over (like day 10-12 of my cycle, and we did it on day 2-3).

And, please tell me which HPT's can get results BEFORE your period comes?!?! I think there's one out there but I haven't exactly noticed lately.

UGH, I consider myself an intelligent person. I can't believe I was so mistaken about this.

JTsMom
07-19-2008, 02:01 PM
It's technically possible, but extremely unlikely. Sperm can live for up to 5 days, so if you O'd on day 8, and if the sperm live that long, and if the two met, you could still get pg, but the chances of all 3 of those things happening are really small. I wouldn't worry about it for one second, really.

Lots of pg tests can be used a few days before your period, but they aren't nearly as accurate when you use them early. EPT is one of the early ones.

ha98ed14
07-19-2008, 02:27 PM
I think JT's mom is right, very, very unlikely. I also think the changes in the environment of your cervix/ uterus while you are having your period are not conducive to keeping sperm alive. I mean, stuff is flowing OUT if the uterus, so it would seem to me not very conducive to stuff getting INTO the uterus. That is just a hypothesis, but I do know for sure that and sperm actually need a lot of "care" that is provided by your vaginal mucus during pre-ovulation and up to about 24 hours after. The mucus keeps the whole area at a good ph level and provides sugar needed for the sperm to survive for those 5 to 7 days. I doubt your body in maintaining this sperm friendly environment while you are menstruating.

egoldber
07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
If you tend to have a 28 (or longer) day cycle and ovulate around day 14 (or later), then its pretty unlikely. If your cycle is shorter, then its more likely.

But even if you did get pregnant, the fertilized egg does not implant until 5-10 days post ovulation, so its not getting anything from your body. And the placenta doesn't start developing until a couple weeks after that. Its one of the body's ways of protecting new pregnancies is that you can't do a lot to harm a pregnancy until you get a signal that you might be pregnant (missing a period).

lisams
07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
You would have to have a very short cycle to get pregnant by having sex on day 2-3 of your cycle. Assuming the sperm stayed alive for the maximum time, probably like 5 days, you'd have to ovulate by day 8, which would mean your cycle is typically 22 days or so. And that's assuming the sperm stayed alive for that long - they usually don't live long in a non-fertile environment. Since you were so early in your cycle you probably didn't have a very fertile environment for them to stay alive very long, not enough cervical fluid and a different ph, etc.

I think that if a person isn't really in tune with their cycle they may have mid cycle bleeding, which might seem like a light period but can actually be caused by ovulation. So then you get someone saying they got pregnant by having sex during their period, when they were actually ovulating. So that's my take on why they tell teens you can get pregnant even by having sex during your period.

mecawa
07-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I have to agree that it is possible but EXTREMELY unlikey.

lizajane
07-19-2008, 05:19 PM
i just can't wait to find out if you actually are.
;)

Twoboos
07-19-2008, 06:46 PM
i just can't wait to find out if you actually are.
;)

I know!!! I am trying to forget about the whole thing. It's just silly and so very unlikely. (Note: trying to reassure myself. :))

Half the reason I posted was because I figured if it had happened to anyone, I would hear about it from someone here. So the fact that no one has posted "Hey, that's how we conceived DC!" makes me feel better. :)

zephyr
07-19-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat you are, although we've used protection every single time for the past month, I'm having some weird symtoms. (Unless its all in my head) Next week I'm supposed to get my period but I have been stressing out ALL month since this would definitely be a surprise!