PDA

View Full Version : Any 100% wool rugs that do not shred.

kusumat
07-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I bought a 100% wool rug from Ikea 3 weeks ago. It has shreded a lot and I am afraid that my toddler may put the fur in her mouth. I pick Ikea because of its enviromental friendly policy. So, I don't think they used any bad chemical in the process.

PBK seems to have bad reviews on their rugs. Any other options? TIA!

elliput
07-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Do you mean shed or shread? A wool rug will naturally shed, it is just the nature of the fiber. A new wool rug will always shed, however a very tightly twisted, fine pile rug will shed much less than a loose twist, coarse pile. Wool is, like any other hair, completely harmless if swallowed and will pass right through our digestive tract (unless excessive amounts are consumed and by excessive I mean more than would be shed by one rug).

Just keep an eye on your toddler and if she starts to put fibers in her mouth tell her they are yucky. Pretty soon, the shedding on your rug will be minimal to almost completely unnoticable.

jessicallyn
07-19-2008, 02:43 PM
I have had good luck with wool rugs from HomeDecorators.com. It's tough to choose from an online picture, but I've been happy so far. I bought an oriental rug grom them at a very good price, esp. after it arrived and had a label from Safavieh (a high end rug importer). We also bought a hooked wool rug from them which is lovely. Neither shed noticeably.

Rougher wool fibers, and/or loosely knotted ones will shed more. Still, that said, even good quality wool rugs will shed at the beginning with high traffic. Try vacuuming it briskly at the highest suction a few times a week for the first 2 weeks - you'll pull off most of the loose fibers that way. But if you've got kids "vrooming" their vehicles on it, it'll still shed a bit. But not enough to add significant fiber to their diets!

Good luck