PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: the scents of hair spray and beauty products my mom uses really bothers me.

kusumat
07-21-2008, 02:45 PM
I am 39 wks pg and is very sensitive to any fragrance. My mom likes to use hair/beauty products with strong scent. I told her twice that the smell really got me dizzy, but she didn't seem to get the message. She flew from oversea to help out. I don't want to get her upset. WWYD? Help!

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Just tell her again and be really firm- blame it on pregnancy hormones if you need to :). I've had that problem before with my mom and she was willing to forgo the smelly stuff around me. She did forget sometimes though. Do you think your mom is just forgetting? You could just sneak into her bathroom and switch out her stuff. I have the kind of relationship w/ my mom that that would be ok though (she'd just laugh and take the hint).

I can't believe you are 39 weeks already! Congratulations!

Beth

Octobermommy
07-21-2008, 03:38 PM
I just flat out told my mom I would appreciate it if she did not use scented products around me or my newborn. I am very sensitive to smells (even when I am not pregnant). She now knows not to use them around me at all. Newborns don't need to be around those scents either, I think you should be blunt but nice.

hillview
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I would maybe make a joke of it and ask for it and put it in a time out or something. Guess it depends on your relationship etc but I am guessing that if you have a good relationship etc she is just forgetting or else she thinks you aren't serious. Either way see if she will let you take care of the smelly stuff in a safe place :)
/hillary