PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had liposuction?

happy2bamom
07-21-2008, 05:22 PM
How painful was it? What was the recovery period (ie, how long until I could resume my SAHM duties)? Were you happy with your results? Would you recommend it?

I have huge saddlebags and have always had trouble finding pants to fit me. I've also always been atleast one size larger in pants than in tops (usually 2 sizes). Anyway, when I lose weight, I am still very pear shaped. Instead of fighting this the rest of my life (my mom always had huge saddlebags too), I'm thinking about gettting liposuction. (The saddlebags have caused big emotional scars for me b/c I've had them since puberty. Even as an adult I prayed that I wouldn't have any baby girls b/c I didn't want to pass on my "hippo-hips".

I"m a total wimp with pain tolerance, but I"d deal with it if I could start to feel good about my body. TIA

StantonHyde
07-21-2008, 06:33 PM
A friend just had lipo done on her thighs and stomach, let's talk PAIN!!!! And that would just be the normal recovery. She also got some bruising thing going on with her entire right leg and had to go to physical therapy to break up the bruises, get use of her leg back. She totally relied on a nanny for at least 2 weeks--probably more like 3. And to be honest, I'm not sure it made that big a difference!!!

You really need to look at the risks posed by lipo--blood clots, scarring, etc. And you have to find a REALLY good surgeon--as in board certified plastic surgeon with no actions against his/her license. So we are talking alot of research here.

I know someone else who had a tummy tuck and said it hurt like all get out for 2-3 weeks and she was totally dependent on her mom to help. She likes the results though.

I love the idea of it but not the reality. DH is an ER doc and he sees so many people with complications from tummy tucks--baaaaad internal scarring leading to pain etc. I am sure you can find plenty of people who had good results--you just have to remember you could be that one in a hundred who has the complications.

niccig
07-21-2008, 06:59 PM
I often think about it, but it's way too much pain and possible complications for me to do it. I understand my friend with EE bra size getting a reduction because of back pain, but my hippo thighs aren't hurting me physically to risk it.

I'm learning to live with them - I've had them such puberty and cellulite to back of my knees. I'm a size 8, and they don't go away. Instead this is how I'm dealing - working out and strength training to build up the muscles - I feel better about myself because I'm getting stronger. I'm getting better at camouflage with clothes. I've found that the Ann Taylor Loft "Julie" fit works best for me. It's a curvier fit for pants. I can wear a size 6 pant in that fit, but in their other styles, I need an 8 or 10 for the thighs and they look awful on. I wear board shorts for women and a tankini top when at the beach. I've got good boobs/shoulders, so I wear tops that accent that.

I know this isn't much of an answer. Just wanted you to know that I empathize, you are not alone with dealing with this.

lizajane
07-21-2008, 10:40 PM
have you tried a personal trainer? perhaps a professional could assist you in working toward your goal shape so that you didn't have to endure the pain or risks of surgery.

not a judgement, just an idea!