PDA

View Full Version : Preemie developmental question...am I overreacting?

tmarie
07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Dd's one month check up was today. She was born at 36 weeks, so technically she is just 40wks gestation today. She was almost 6lbs at birth, scored a 9 on her apgar, and went right home with us...no problems except reflux dx last week.

Anyway...ped is doing the exam and I'm answering her questions. I tell her that dd can focus on my face. She responds (while holding dd and talking to her), "no--she is not focusing...she will look at you but sometimes it's like she is looking THROUGH you,"...and went on to say that I may notice her smiling at me in the next few weeks. As we wrap up the visit she tells me dd looks "great, just great...I have no concerns."

I came home and reviewed my 'what to expect the 1st yr' book and it states the newborn should be able to "focus" on a face at birth?!

Now I am panicked there may be a problem and ped just doesn't want to alarm me.....am I completely paranoid? Does anyone know how to define "focusing" and when it should happen?

TIA!

tmarie
dd#1 '05
dd#2 6/08

cono0507
07-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Here's what the AAP says about milestones at 1 mo of age:
http://www.aap.org/publiced/BK0_DevMile_1Mos.htm

My son was born at 35 weeks. Even though 35-36 weeks isn't super early, it is still approriate to look at their development according to gestational age. My son seemed to meet physical milestones toward the end of the "normal" window for the first year or two. For example, he walked at 14 months, learned a pincer grasp a little later than his peers, started talking toward the end of the "normal" window for speech to develop.

That said, now at 3.5 yo, he is right on track, and advanced in some areas.

The general rule of thumb is that preemies will catch up to their peers by age 2.

FWIW, I hate the "what to expect" books. The books by the AAP are good IMO for development, etc.

And congrats on your new baby! :)

tmarie
07-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Thank you for sharing that site and your experience w/ds. Dh thinks she is indeed "focusing" on our faces and just happened to be inattentive for the minute or two that ped held her. I am going to have a glass of wine, try and forget the 'What to Expect' milestones, and try to have a little more faith in my ped. I forgot how many little details there are to worry about when they are this small! :)

Again, thank you!

tmarie

C99
07-21-2008, 10:04 PM
The general rule of thumb is that preemies will catch up to their peers by age 2.

But really that is just a general rule of thumb. There are effects of prematurity that go beyond the 2-year mark, but who knows if whatever issue is attributable to prematurity, brain chemistry, personality, birth order, or some other reason? That said, while babies born just a little early (34-37 weeks) can have problems, they can be totally normal as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it in a 1-month-old, especially if your pediatrician has no complaints.

BarbieSmith
07-22-2008, 07:03 AM
My 28-weeker (2 pounder) was ahead on some things and behind on some... it was almost as though she never wanted to be "average", LOL. After the first few times I learnt not to be afraid anymore. Now she is 3.5 years old, and brilliant, social, energetic and sweet. She tests ahead of her peers on almost everything. And yes, at 2 years she was caught up... that is the magic number for many preemies.

The best thing that ever happened for us was Early Intervention (call your states children's services) - although they never found any problems, it was sooooooo wonderful to have them come to the house every month to test her. And she loved it! It really set our minds at ease....

I hope this helps,
Barbie

JBaxter
07-22-2008, 08:35 AM
after having 3 ( full term) babies & 1 on the way those are AVERAGES dont let them stress you out. Babies dont come out holding their particular model instruction manuel so take what the doc says with a grain of salt. Ive found that babies do what they want on their OWN schedule. Tomorrow/ next week you may be sitting holding your little one with direct eye contact and SWEAR they know exactly what you are saying. 1st babies are a learning curve ( ok so they all are but esp the 1st) Peds can be great but they are also human with their own opinions that may or may NOT correspond to you particular parenting views. You ARE allowed to disagree with a DR on anything from what diaper, formula, treatment or vaccines. Thats the beauty of being the PARENT. You brought the little amazing child into the world and YOU are charged with raising the child to be a happy healthy productive adult.

Hopping off the soap box now LOL What does your MOMMY instinct tell you? I have found over my 17yr of pregnancy/parenting that it should not be ignored. If you baby is doing everything a 40week okd should ( eat poop sleep maybe try to smile and cry) what else would you want.
Congrats on the new little one.

KBecks
07-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Relax. I wouldn't worry about this unless the pedi sees a problem at your next appt. Since she said she has no concerns, I'd trust her.