PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else grossed out by library books?

overcome
07-21-2008, 11:53 PM
I started taking DD to library once a week this summer. I have THE FONDEST memories of going to the library when I was little. Checking out as many books as I wanted and devouring them. I was so excited about passing this on to DD.

I guess it is b/c we are checking out the books for little kids, but these books are DISGUSTING. Crud on the covers and pages, dirty....it gives me the heebeegeebees. I feel like I should wipe them down before reading. I can only imagine what they (the books) encounter in some of the homes they end up in (don't let me give you the wrong impression, my home is certainly not the cleanest home on the block).

I feel like a snob, but I don't want to touch these books! Let alone my DD. Is it just me?

kransden
07-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Uh- that's disgusting. No my library doesn't have books like that. Even the little library that services the poor community doesn't have anything like that either, the pages may be a little worn, but nothing like what you are describing. I'ld complain or find another library if you can.

citymama
07-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Sounds yucky.
We go to the public library almost weekly, and the books we borrow are always in great shape! Our library seems to replace books very frequently. We couldn't live without it!

new_mommy25
07-22-2008, 02:42 AM
That's strange. The books at our library are in awesome condition. Sometimes we get one that has a small tear that was repaired with tape, or wrinkled pages and they always have the "offically noted" stamp by it.

kijip
07-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Like the PP, our library does not have books like that. If I did, I would feel the same as you. I have a hard time seeing a library not replacing or removing seriously damaged materials.

sidmand
07-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Kind of...we would go to storytime at the library for 0-1 year olds and the librarian would also fan out a few books for the kids to "read." I understand that she wanted to expose them to reading, but at that age "reading" meant that every book went right in the mouth! Yuck.

ThreeofUs
07-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Oh, yuck! No, our library doesn't have that type of problem. I think they wipe everything down before it goes back into circulation.

Is your library system overextended? Maybe they need a champion.

SnuggleBuggles
07-22-2008, 09:39 AM
It took me a while to get over it, even for me. Do you ever read in the bathroom? If you do, I bet other people do too. yick.

I actually do avoid board books for little ones because I know how my ds chews on them and I don't want any other gnawed on books by someone else.

All the books at our libraries are in good shape though. I think about the invisible yuckies more. :)

Beth

JTsMom
07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
If our library books were nasty, I don't think I could handle it, but I haven't come accross anything remotely like that. We are lucky enough to have a really fabulous library system here with amazing children's sections.

I have thought about the reading in the bathroom thing, the chewing on the books thing, and the sick kids reading thing, but I just try not to dwell about that sort of stuff. We do what we can to keep DS's immune system strong, and then try not to worry. What else can you do, you know? Germs are everywhere, and we can't keep our kids in a bubble, so I just hope for the best.

overcome
07-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Wow..I wonder why our library's books are so yucky?!? They are a beautiful HUGE library with 3 branches in addition to the main branch. They offer wonderful programs and have a lovely children's room.

I am SURE they are not wiping off books after they are returned. We read a book yesterday in which EVERY SINGLE PAGE was ripped from top to bottom and taped. I've never seen an "offically noted" stamp. The board books are so gross I do not check them out.

I guess I will just put up with it and maybe wipe them off. Hmmmm...what to do...I guess I could write a letter voicing my concerns.

lovin2shop
07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Our library has gross books, too! I think that it is because we live in kidville central and the childrens section is by far the most visited in the library. I try really hard to not sweat it for the same reason; I loved the library as a kid and my kiddo loves it too. I'm not even a germaphobe and it still gives me the heebies every time. The baby board books cross the line for me though, I just avoid those altogether and only do story time at that age!

linsei
07-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I have encountered the occasional gross book from the library. Fortunately, it does not happen often! I remember getting one that looked like it had boogers in it. Yuck! Other times, it would be food crumbs. Gross, but at least food crumbs are better than boogers.

The books in the bathroom comment totally reminds me of Seinfeld!

purpleeyes
07-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Oh, its funny that others feel this way. I always thought it was part of my OCD issues. ;)
I do get a squicked out with the books, but it helps me to aviod the board books entirely and remember-most germs don't live that long. So by the time it gets from someone's yucky house into the back, sorted on a cart and shelved on the shelves, most germs could be gone.
That doesn't help my deal with thinking about germy hands grabbing them, so I just choose (force myself, really) not to think about it!! :)

salsah
07-22-2008, 05:11 PM
yes! thank you, i'm glad some one else feels the same way. it bothers me so much! i hate library books. they are often disgusting, inside and outside -- they look like people use them as napkins / tissue / coaster/ plate etc. why do they do that? not only can the book get damaged but you can't wash a book. i get chills just thinking about the germs that they must be covered with. why can't people treat books w/ a little more respect? i once saw a friend put her child's unfinished apple slice on my book! even my toddler knows not to do that. and the book was on a table in the living room, couldn't she have put the apple on the table -- the apple will not ruin the table but it will ruin the book and it is easier to clean a table than a book.

i have a strict rule about no books (library or our own) or toys at the dinner table (and no food leaves the table). if the food doesn't leave the kitchen, the rest of the house stays cleaner. and if you don't bring books or toys to the table, they will not get dirty.

i have to stop otherwise i will get to worked up and ramble on for pages about how much it bothers me to see people who lack common sense and disrespect other people and other people's things (or even their own things).

MelissaTC
07-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Our library books look nothing like what is being described. We are constantly at the library borrowing books and we have never had anything remotely gross.

egoldber
07-22-2008, 08:26 PM
We routinely have 40-50 books checked out at a time and I have never had an issue with the books.