PDA

View Full Version : Sigg Bottle as a Gift?

cairo06
07-22-2008, 06:20 PM
After reading all the posts recently about Sigg bottles, I thought that would make a nice gift for my nephews when I go to visit next month. My youngest nephew loves sharks and there's a bottle with that as a design. After further thought, I am unsure whether that would be practical for Florida where its so hot. I've been living here so long I've gotten used to drinking everything room temperature. I use them for my children and don't find cleaning them a problem because we only use them for water, but I'm wondering if my SIL will find it annoying to clean them.

If not, does anyone have any good ideas for a "european" gift for 6, 8, and 10 year old boys. Every year its getting harder to think of something special to bring to them.

Wife_and_mommy
07-22-2008, 06:23 PM
If your sister is the least bit crunchy, she'll probably like them. I'd probably mention I only use them for water when they open them.

toby
07-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I think that the Sigg bottles are a great idea-- it's something different and useful and I'm sure that the kids will love the designs. I wouldn't worry about it being too hot in Fla for them...

I would mention that it is best to just use them for water and to clean them out every few days.

Have a great trip!

ThreeofUs
07-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Gosh, I'd love to get Sigg bottles as a gift - but then I'm a little bit crunchy! ;)

CiderLogan
07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I say go for it -- but I'd mention the fact that they don't have to be scrubbed every day, that the designs are cute, that they are everywhere, etc., rather than talking about the 'safe' or 'eco' issues so I wouldn't come off as pretentious....

MontrealMum
07-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I just gave a Sigg to my nephew who lives in Georgia and he and his mom both love it. I don't know if she *knows* exactly what it is (probably not, which is why I chose it) or all the plastic issues since her kids are over bottling age, but they like it a lot and he uses it for the sports that he does. You can get insulating sleeves, like those from Built NY that fit over many bottle types, or Sigg also makes its own for the larger bottle sizes (don't know about the smaller kid ones).

mytwosons
07-22-2008, 09:21 PM
You could also pair it with ice cube trays that fit the bottle. BBB and/or LNT have trays that make "stick cubes" that fit into any normal size water bottle. I think it was only $4 for a package of 3 trays. Made me love our siggs that much more... ;-)

mominjune
07-23-2008, 05:52 AM
I thought I would chime in as I have given them as gifts before.

I gave them to a friend (both the mom and daughter as a new mom and new sister present) and they don't really use them at all. They still prefer their plastic water bottles, even having read about bad plastics, etc. I think the few times they did use them they fell off the stroller, etc and dented, and they lost their appeal after that. I got them for them as they had commented a few times that ours were "cute"

My Mom also gifted them to my sister and her kids. She just can't be bothered to fill them up in the morning, claiming not to have enough time as it is already. And cleaning them is probably another issue. She is just the disposable plastic bottle person. She is okay with them b/c they are according to her, the only thing her county does recycle.

Anyways, we have loved our sigg bottles for years. Recently I got some funtainers for the DDs and the kids have been using those more, although the adults in our family still use the siggs.

cairo06
07-23-2008, 08:15 AM
My SIL is not crunchy at all. Its hards to get the boys gifts because I like educational/wooden toys and they are into wrestling! I was not too excited about what my kids got from them for Xmas, but I put a big smile on my face and then took out all the batteries when we got home. They mean well and are very generous.

I just can't think of anything else and don't have time to go shopping for ideas with two kids. I'll get the insulating sleeves to go with them and will look into those ice cube trays, if I can figure out what LNT means. I'd like to get some for me!

Then I thought I would get the female relatives those reisenthel maxi shoppers. They have really cute patterns and are sold everywhere around here. I hate receiving stuff I'm never going to use, but I hope that these two ideas will be useful. I would have never come up with this stuff if I weren't reading these boards! Thank you.

mytwosons
07-23-2008, 07:40 PM
and will look into those ice cube trays, if I can figure out what LNT means. I'd like to get some for me!

LNT = Linens N Things
BBB = Bed Bath & Beyond :)

cairo06
07-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Aah, thank you!