PDA

View Full Version : One Big Thing or Many Little Ones?

Wife_and_mommy
07-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Which would you rather have?

I have some gift cash to spend and can't decide between getting my long-dreamed of digital SLR or replacing my ancient flatware/dinnerware and getting a new office chair. What would you do?

Thanks for any thoughts.:)

SnuggleBuggles
07-22-2008, 08:26 PM
One big. I think. :) I have a hard time deciding too!

Beth

ThreeofUs
07-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Either sounds good, and while I agree the choice is difficult, I'd probably spend on my dream. Dinnerware and office chairs can be replaced through sales and household capital. Gift money is for *me*!

caleymama
07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Either sounds good, and while I agree the choice is difficult, I'd probably spend on my dream. Dinnerware and office chairs can be replaced through sales and household capital. Gift money is for *me*!

:yeahthat: (Probably doesn't help that a dSLR is on my very, very short list of "things I want")

lizajane
07-22-2008, 09:22 PM
am i stupid or is the SLR the phatty phat camera? if so, then CAMERA!! because i want one. :)

ellies mom
07-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh the camera for certain. You can replace the rest of the stuff in stages. Plus, like Ivy mentioned, all that stuff is "household stuff" not "gift stuff".

Tondi G
07-22-2008, 10:07 PM
CAMERA! We got a DSLR and can't believe the quality of the pics we get now! It is SOOO worth it!

caheinz
07-22-2008, 10:34 PM
You're more likely to be able to pick up the small things one at a time over time than you are to be able to get the one big thing, no?

Go for the camera!

newbiemom
07-22-2008, 10:42 PM
We have an digital SLR and it has made taking pics of our kids so so much easier! Go for the camera!

elephantmeg
07-22-2008, 10:46 PM
love our DSLR. Get it :)

WatchingThemGrow
07-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Same boat here - big wad of birthday cash to blow. What's the model DSLR you're looking at. I could use one, maybe... or should I buy lift tickets to some ski mountain out west???

elizabethkott
07-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Camera! Camera! Camera!

Flatware - eh. Wait for a BBB coupon. Heck, I'll send you the drawer full of mine!

Office chair? Wait until October. Staples always has a sale after all the kids have gone back to school and they're looking to get rid of inventory.

Wife_and_mommy
07-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Same boat here - big wad of birthday cash to blow. What's the model DSLR you're looking at. I could use one, maybe... or should I buy lift tickets to some ski mountain out west???

Happy birthday!:boogie:

I'm thinking a Nikon D40.

ShanaMama
07-22-2008, 11:34 PM
You're more likely to be able to pick up the small things one at a time over time than you are to be able to get the one big thing, no?

Go for the camera!

:yeahthat: Gotta use dedicated gift $$ for a gift for yourself. Other things can be bought during sales, etc.

Wife_and_mommy
07-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Twist my arm, why don't cha?;)

I found my deal on the camera so will do that. I'm so so excited!

FWIW, the flatware/dinnerware/chair excited me too. I know I'm a dork.:D

kijip
07-23-2008, 12:10 AM
I fall into the one big thing camp nearly 100% of the time. I figure it's harder to get a big thing with your own money later on. Also, when you see the one big thing, you are reminded of the gift buyer in a more memorable way.

kozachka
07-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Camera. Like pp said the rest of the staff is not gifts and can be bought one by one.