PDA

View Full Version : OT- Need drapery help

ShanaMama
07-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I am feeling very stupid today. I bought some nice drapes for the dining room and DH even agreed to hang them tonight. :bighand:
So here's the question: I bought a few sheer panels and two thick drapes. The look I had in mind was loose sheers during the day with the drapes pulled back. Then unhooking the drapes at night to cover the sheers so the neighbors don't get a full view of my dining room.
Question is, how do I get the drapes to slide in front of the sheers? Do they need to be on two separate rods? Right now all the panels are on one rod in the following sequence: drape-sheer-sheer-drape. But the drapes aren't draping, and certainly won't slide in front of the sheers. I feel like I am missing something pretty basic here and I'm kinda annoyed that the salespeople didn't mention anything to this obvious rookie who asked for their help. So please clue me in, I really want to hang these up already! Thanks.

ETA: Here's a picture in case my description wasn't clear. This isn't the look I am going for, but the idea is the same. How did they get the valance to hang over the drape? I guess there must be another rod hiding inside?
http://www.marburn.com/images/fashions/sarita_lg.jpg

ThreeofUs
07-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes, you need two rods - usually called a combination rod. They sell these almost anywhere - look at the JCPenney site for examples. Here's a link.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/x5.aspx?catid=60451&deptid=60156&cmAMS_T=X3&cmAMS_C=C5&CmCatId=60156|60196

ShanaMama
07-22-2008, 11:13 PM
How obvious! Those combo rods are a brilliant invention. I am really annoyed at the salespeople because I asked for help as a clear drapery dummy. They did not mention anything of the sort. And to top it off the fancy rod I bought is not returnable once opened. Hopefully I can just buy a cheaper rod to hide underneath. I'm guessing the fancy rod will show because the drapes don't extend over the entire window.
Well, if I don't have the baby before then, I'm back to the store tomorrow! I told DH if this baby doesn't come soon I might remodel the whole house, LOL.