PDA

View Full Version : Grammar Question: Possessive form of a first name that ends in "s"?

fattytuna
07-23-2008, 03:16 AM
This has been baffling me for a while now... what is the possessive form of a first name that ends in "s", such as "Charles" or "Doris"? Is it

Charles's toys

or

Chris's clothes?

or do you omit the "s" after the apostrophe?

And do you write it as you would say it? Do you ever say "Jamesiz" but write "James' "?

kozachka
07-23-2008, 03:26 AM
You just add an apostrophe after "s". E.g. Charles' toys

justlearning
07-23-2008, 03:43 AM
I was taught in school that it depended on the number of syllables--you would use an apostrophe followed by s if the name is one syllable (e.g., Chris's) and only the apostrophe (no s at the end) if the name is two syllables (e.g., Charles').

I just googled your question for fun and these sites immediately came up in the search:
http://grammargeek.wordpress.com/2007/03/30/ask-the-grammar-geek-2/
and http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/possessives.htm

When reading more about this issue, you'll see that there really are no firm rules and that the most important thing when writing is consistency in how you apply whatever rule you do adopt.

MarisaSF
07-23-2008, 04:00 AM
Funny, I once asked my friend Alexis this same question. She said she would write Alexis's.

LBW
07-23-2008, 08:15 AM
According to the Chicago Manual of Style, you always add 's to make a singular noun possessive, even one ending in s.

So, Charles's and Chris's are correct.

For plural nouns ending in -s, you can just add the apostrophe: eg. boats'

ThreeofUs
07-23-2008, 08:21 AM
I've seen rules (including manuals of style and guidelines for submission of papers to journals) on both sides of the issue.

I agree with the pp who said to pick a way and be consistent using it.

Personally, I like the apostrophe s usage (from CMOS and others), and so use "Chris's". This separates it in my mind from the plural possessive "boats' masts", "lions' cages", etc.

dcmom2b3
07-23-2008, 08:30 AM
It depends on the style manual you follow. But the Chicago manual has adopted the s' as an "alternative." It also addresses the pronunciation question:

"7.23An alternative practice

Those uncomfortable with the rules, exceptions, and options outlined above may prefer the system, formerly more common, of simply omitting the possessive s on all words ending in s—hence “Dylan Thomas’ poetry,” “Maria Callas’ singing,” and “that business’ main concern.” Though easy to apply, that usage disregards pronunciation and thus seems unnatural to many. "

MontrealMum
07-23-2008, 08:34 AM
It used to be "Chris' toys" but I have begun seeing more and more "Chris's toys" just in popular print recently, and I have now seen that as a standard in style manuals for publishing, so I think that the standard has shifted/is shifting to adding the "s". Like pp said, just be consistent.

About how to pronounce it? I've heard it both ways from reputable sources (like, not Fox News!), and I"m not really sure which one is more "correct".

MommytoEliana
07-23-2008, 09:58 AM
The standard at the publishing company for which I work is if the final "s" has a "z" sound (Charles, Jesus), you just add an apostrophe and no additional "s." However, for a soft "s," like "Chris," you add an apostrophe and an "s." (Basically it follows the way most people pronounce things.)

luigino1202
08-28-2010, 01:40 PM
If the name ends in a "z" sound like Charles then you just add an apostrophe. If it ends in a "sssss" sound like Marcus or Chris then you add an apostrophe and an s.

Katigre
08-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm currently reading "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" and she addresses this :).

1. If it is a modern person/modern name then you add an additional 's - "Chris's car is in the shop being repaired" "Mrs. Jones's daughter is in my class this years"

2. If it is an ancient name (Moses, Jesus) then you only add an apostrphe and no additional s - "Jesus' twelve disciplies" or "Moses' angry outburst at the Egyptian"

HTH! (and I sincerely hope I'm remembering it right...)

elektra
08-28-2010, 02:08 PM

1. If it is a modern person/modern name then you add an additional 's - "Chris's car is in the shop being repaired" "Mrs. Jones's daughter is in my class this years"

2. If it is an ancient name (Moses, Jesus) then you only add an apostrphe and no additional s - "Jesus' twelve disciplies" or "Moses' angry outburst at the Egyptian"

I have also read that when referencing Jesus you should use Jesus' vs. Jesus's.

But that otherwise, you should use Charles's. However Charles' is also correct too supposedly.

How's that for clarity? ;)

ourbabygirl
08-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Thank you so much for this thread, OP! We're probably naming DS something that ends in an 'S' (s sound, as well), and I was wondering how to handle the whole possessive thing. :)

MamaSnoo
08-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Why would it matter if the name is modern or ancient? That seems like an odd rule to me. I guess per the CMOS, I am old fashioned, but I omit the final s, pretty much always.

So, if you are using the modern/ancient rule, what do you do with Jesus' binky or Jesus' baseball (as in a modern child with the ancient name of Jesus)? I know quite a few boys names Jesus and at least one Moses.

belovedgandp
08-28-2010, 04:12 PM
DS2 ends in "s" - my brain told me that it should be just the s' - but the more I wrote it, I just didn't feel comfortable. From what I read, pick one and be consistent, so I now do 's for him. It looks like I say it. I blog about him a lot and I think around four months I did the switch.

stillplayswithbarbies
08-28-2010, 10:36 PM
my youngest daughter's name ends in an 'S', with a soft 'S' sound. I use the apostrophe alone, without the added 'S'. It's what I learned in grammar school, and since I am old enough to be calling it "grammar" school, I suppose the rule might have changed since I learned it. As long as it is still optional, I'll do it the way I learned it.