PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Help?

lorinick
07-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm looking for a digital camera thats small has 8MP and at least 4X optical zoom. Nothing under 4. We already have a digital SRL. So something small that still has good zoom. Also if anyone knows of one that has stab. control. If you shake or move while trying to take the picture. I 'm looking to spend between 175-225.00.

TaChapm
07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
I just bought the Sony DSC H3 in May and I have loved it! It is a little camera with a big punch. It is 8mp with a 10x zoom. You can also adjust the settings to do things on your own. DH just bought me a SLR camera for our anniversary and the agreement was that I would sell my Sony on ebay if he bought it. I don't want to sell it becaust it is such an awesome little camera. I highly recommend you looking into them. I am enjoying my last trip with mine before I list it next week. :( While I know I will love my new one I will miss the convenience of the smaller camera.

lorinick
07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
I just bought the Sony DSC H3 in May and I have loved it! It is a little camera with a big punch. It is 8mp with a 10x zoom. You can also adjust the settings to do things on your own. DH just bought me a SLR camera for our anniversary and the agreement was that I would sell my Sony on ebay if he bought it. I don't want to sell it becaust it is such an awesome little camera. I highly recommend you looking into them. I am enjoying my last trip with mine before I list it next week. :( While I know I will love my new one I will miss the convenience of the smaller camera.
I wouldn't sell the small one. Sometimes alot of the times it's hard to carry the large SRL. That's why were looking for a new little one. My husband wants to be able to take pictures while skiing and put the camera in his coat pocket.

TaChapm
07-23-2008, 03:24 PM
I know...I just wish my husband would see things the same way. He isn't willing to budge on this one. :32: I am thinking that around Thanksgiving when camera's are super cheap that I will get a small point and shoot camera for my diaper bag. I just can't keep my fancy one. :(

lorinick
07-23-2008, 03:33 PM
How much was the Sony you had. What does it retail for?

TaChapm
07-23-2008, 03:40 PM
It retails for $299-$399 althought you can find some good ones on ebay for around the $200 price range. I paid around $255 for mine.

ETA...That was with the 2 gig memory stick since Sony's don't take SD cards.

BillK
07-23-2008, 03:44 PM
I just bought the updated version of the Sony H3 (now the H10) and we LOVE it!

Over the years we've been through a Canon Powershot S50, Fuji F40d, Canon SX100 IS, Canon 870 IS and now have the Sony H10 and love it.

I also have a Nikon D50 dslr with the 18-200mm Nikkor VR lens - and while it's a great combo - it's also "great big" and it's nice to have the little Sony to carry around. The Sony is not quite "pocket" size but it is certainly small enough to cram into a purse, diaper bag - or cargo pocket of a pair of shorts.

We paid $249 for our H10 - I think "retail" is $299.

overcome
07-23-2008, 09:18 PM
I just bought the updated version of the Sony H3 (now the H10) and we LOVE it!

Bill...does it bother you not to have a viewfinder? How is the LCD screen in bright conditions?

We're in the market for a smaller camera that packs a punch and this might be it!!

lorinick
07-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm only looking to spend 175-225.00. I already have Sony SRL with a extra lense. I'm looking for something small with a 4-5X zoom and 8mp. I don't want to spend alot. Anyone know anything about the Sony Cyber Shot?

Melbel
07-24-2008, 06:49 AM
I am a HUGE fan of my Sony H5, now discontinued, in addition to my Nikon 40x SLR.

I would search in www.dpreview.com for a camera with the features and price range you want. You can also search by rating (highly recommended, recommended, etc.). Along with researching ratings on other sites, that is how I found my Sony H5. Once you narrow it down, go to a B&M store to try them out. Bring your own card if necessary to see how the cameras actually work.

BillK
07-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Anyone know anything about the Sony Cyber Shot?

They're all called "Cyber Shot" other than the Sony DSLR - they have specific "Cyber Shot" models like W170, H10, H50 etc. What particular model are you thinking about?

BillK
07-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Bill...does it bother you not to have a viewfinder? How is the LCD screen in bright conditions?

We're in the market for a smaller camera that packs a punch and this might be it!!
No not really - if I want a viewfinder - I always have my Nikon D50. The screen is pretty huge (3") and so far it's been fine in bright conditions. We're very happy with the H10 - it's not so small that you end up fumbling around for controls but not so big that you dread taking it along on an outing.