PDA

View Full Version : SCARED! Abnormal mammogram??? *UPDATE*

newmomto1
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I just had my routine mam done 5 days ago. Today I get a letter (no phone call!) saying that the procedure showed a finding that requires additional imaging.
I called to make the appt & it's going to be A WEEK before they can fit me in!
I am waiting for a call back from my Dr. to see if I can get any more info.
I am SO SCARED!!!!!!!
ETA:
This is not my first mam, I have never had problem before w/ cysts or anything. Everything has always been normal.

JTsMom
07-23-2008, 04:56 PM
I haven't BTDT, but just wanted to send :hug: . I'll bet it's not that uncommon to need more imagining- it could just be that it's a bad picture, and they see a shadow or something. Try not to freak out too much until you hear more.

kmak
07-23-2008, 05:13 PM
If they're not calling to get you back in that day, I wouldn't be worried. they're probably just following up.

From experience, if the dr's think it's something to worry about they will have you in that day, no waiting, no sending letters, etc.

newmomto1
07-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I finally got a call back from my doc's office.
They hadn't even rec'd the results yet. So, when they got my message they called for them.
Apparently, the image showed a nonspecific area of calcifications. She said that it was a change from last year. She said it was probably nothing to worry about, but that whenever there is ANY change, they want to look at it closer.
I am still really nervous. I will feel better after I get final results!

shilo
07-23-2008, 06:48 PM
just one idea for you... my mom had an area of 'non specific calcifications' show up on her's 2 years ago. they were tiny pin head sized dots. after two repeat mam's that showed them, but in different spots than the first, and i think maybe an US f/u that couldn't find the same thing, she remembered that she'd switched body lotion. her new lotion was some neutrogena 'firming' product and had micronized copper or some such in it and that turned out to be what was showing up on the mams. her kaiser doc actually told her they had seen the same thing infrequently lately and hadn't traced it back before that. on last years instruction sheet they sent home, it specifically said not to use any moisturizers before the mam.

i hope you get reassurance soon!
lori

ThreeofUs
07-23-2008, 06:49 PM
I'd be nervous, too, and certainly the best way to find out is not in a letter!

But ITA with the pp who said it's just a follow-up, non-urgent. Otherwise, they would have been on the phone to you that day wanting you back in asap. These changes do happen in our bodies, particularly after child-bearing - better to note them and ensure nothing bad is going on.

Hang in there!

stefani
07-23-2008, 07:26 PM
BTDT, and it turned out to be nothing (non-cancerous). Hugs and wishing you the best. I don't remember the statistics, but it was very likely that it is OK, especially if they say "non-specific".

I know it is hard, but try not to worry...

:22:

newmomto1
07-24-2008, 12:18 AM
just one idea for you... my mom had an area of 'non specific calcifications' show up on her's 2 years ago. they were tiny pin head sized dots. after two repeat mam's that showed them, but in different spots than the first, and i think maybe an US f/u that couldn't find the same thing, she remembered that she'd switched body lotion. her new lotion was some neutrogena 'firming' product and had micronized copper or some such in it and that turned out to be what was showing up on the mams. her kaiser doc actually told her they had seen the same thing infrequently lately and hadn't traced it back before that. on last years instruction sheet they sent home, it specifically said not to use any moisturizers before the mam.

i hope you get reassurance soon!
lori

I was sure not to use any moisturizers that day. So, unfortunately that's not it :(

newmomto1
07-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I had my follow up mammogram today....
Now I am really freaking out!
I have to have a biopsy! I am going in 2 days.
I apparently have clusters of microcalcifications.
It could be benign, or it could be early signs of cancer.
I am so scared!!!!

mama2g03
07-29-2008, 02:53 PM
P & PT that it will be benign and that you will get the results ASAP. I know the waiting can be so scary. Easier said than done, but have positive thoughts. Big hugs to you.

elephantmeg
07-29-2008, 03:48 PM
P+PT your way. Hugs.

ThreeofUs
07-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Wow, I'd be freaking out, too, so here's a bunch of hugs for you: :22:

I'd try meditating, if you can, just to give yourself some emotional space. I know it's really hard, but it's the only way I can keep myself together in moments of great stress like this.

Best wishes for good, fast results!

elizabethkott
07-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh...
Prayers and PT heading your way...
And some (((((hugs))))) to help get you through.

Melbel
07-29-2008, 07:04 PM
:hug5: Sending P & PT. I had an abnormal mammogram, followed by an abnormal compression mammogram (ouch!). I also needed a biopsy that lasted 45 minutes, rather than the stated 10. The GREAT news was that everything was fine. They place metal markers at the biopsy site to avoid the need for repeat examinations of the area. I know exactly how you feel and hope your situation turns out as well as mine. Just remember that the odds are still in your favor and try not to worry too much (easier said than done).

Mommy Of A Little Angel
07-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Try not to worry too much! Odds really are in your favor. I had a lump that I could feel and had to go through the mammogram/ultrasound thing. Couldn't see much so the breast surgeon did a biopsy. He was able to determine right away that it was completely benign. I know it's scary but you are doing all the right things.

Thinking about you!

hardysmom
07-29-2008, 10:54 PM
First, please, please, please BREATHE.

I wish I saw his earlier. ((((HUGS))))

Please PM me. If you don't feel comfortable with that, a good site for info is youngsurvival.org (Young Survival Coalition) which deals primarily with pre-menopausal women living with breast cancer. Breastcancer.org has a board specifically for people, like you, who are scared, but who don't have a dx. Both sites are excellent. Good people.

Online, the ages of BC patients are skewed young b/c older women don't do the computer thing so much. You'll find a lot of people with young kids, etc... AND MOST WILL END UP BEING FINE.

In January, I found a lump which turned out to be a 1.9 cm tumor... No cancer in my family, at all. I'm stage 2a, with one lymph node involved. In Feb., I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction followed by 4 months of dose dense chemo. Finished that in June. Two weeks ago, I did the second stage of my reconstruction... Next month, I begin 7 weeks of radiation...

A month out of chemo, I am legally bald. Though, I must say, I am rather impressed with my sprouting fuzz. That said, during chemo, I worked out 45 minutes a day and drove my kids to school every day. It isn't as bad as it looks from the outside.

Be careful digging around online. Most sites, YSC included, are populated by people who already have a diagnoses which makes it SEEM like everyone who has a scare has cancer. In truth, 80% of scares turn out to be cysts or something B9 (there is some cancer shorthand for ya, lol)

The calcifications in your breasts CAN be common and nothing serious. In fact, on my first (and last) mammogram I also had "suspicious calcifiations" which were biopsied and turned out to be nothing... Unfortunately, I ALSO had a lump which turned out to be somethng.

The concern is that it is DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) which is VERY early (Stage 0) cancer. In fact, it is so early, most consider it pre-cancer... Still, sucks to have it. The good news is that if it is DCIS, you found it very, very early. DCIS doesn't spread beyond the breast tissue so it generally isn't a life-threatening concern, though the treatments are certainly not fun. Do-able, but not fun.

You'll probably have a needle guided biopsy... Basically, they lay you down on a table and squish your boob a'la mammogram while using an ultrasound to guide the biopsy. The radiologist doing the procedure may take a few samples to make sure they have enough calcifications to really be sure about what they are viewing. I didn't find it as painful as awkward. It will take a day or two to know something. Be squeaky wheel and call and call and call to get results.

I've been through a lot over the past months. Without a doubt, the WORST place was where you are now. The waiting and overwhelming gravity of the whole thing is something I wouldn't with on anyone, ever. Moms don't have time for this stuff. Don't let your imagination carry you away. If you get bad news, you'll need all the energy and mindfulness you can muster to make decisions. If it is good news, which I am SURE it will be, you don't want to be too caught up in this fish-net. It is sticky stuff. Count your blessings and move on.

Hang in there. I am thinking of you and sending my best thoughts and prayers.

Stephanie

Blythe Katherine and Charlotte Maeve 3/04
Thomas Hardin (Hardy) 11/01

newmomto1
07-30-2008, 01:58 AM
Thank you all for all the P+PT!
Hardysmom..thank SO much for all the info!
I just checked out breastcancer.org & theres a lot of good info there too.
You seem so strong! I really admire you :)
I will keep you all posted.....

o_mom
07-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Sending you some prayers!

stefani
07-30-2008, 11:22 AM
I had my follow up mammogram today....
Now I am really freaking out!
I have to have a biopsy! I am going in 2 days.
I apparently have clusters of microcalcifications.
It could be benign, or it could be early signs of cancer.
I am so scared!!!!

:hug5: That is what I had, and it turned out benign. What kind of biopsy are you getting? I had posted on the board before, so maybe you can search for microcalcifications. If you want to talk, PM me. It is easy to say it now, but I feel like I freaked out more than necessary.

Hang in there and sending you lots of positive healthy vibes.

ETA: This was my post earlier:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=238214&highlight=calcification

Happy 2B mommy
07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Hugs to help you deal with the fear and stress.

You have lots of t/p's coming your way.

hardysmom
07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=stefani]: It is easy to say it now, but I feel like I freaked out more than necessary.

QUOTE]

I think this is one of those things that merits a freak out. Don't feel self-conscious about that.

The bald philosopher in me believes that when faced with this critical stuff, the resulting freak-out forces us to take inventory, get motivated and re-prioritize in a way that is tough as the moms of young kids. Cuts through the cr@p real fast. Use the energy, you know? That is The Thing.

Glad all was OK.

Stephanie

newmomto1
08-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Just wanted to post a quick update:
I had a biopsy done last week. The nurse called me with my results this morning...& they were benign!
I am very relieved!
This has been the longest week of my life!

bubbaray
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I am so so SOOOOO happy for you -- wonderful news!

brittone2
08-04-2008, 07:44 PM
That is always great news to read on here :cheerleader1: :boogie: :yay: :bighand:

I'm so sorry that you had to endure the stress of not knowing, but I hope you are feeling light in your heart now :hug:

s7714
08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I had a biopsy done last week. The nurse called me with my results this morning...& they were benign!
I am very relieved!

That's fantastic news! :yay:

mama2g03
08-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Great news! I am so happy for you. You must feel like a huge weight has been lifted.

ThreeofUs
08-04-2008, 10:44 PM
:applause: Whoo-HOOO!!! How excellent! Very glad to hear all is well!

hardysmom
08-05-2008, 09:16 AM
WHOOO-HOOO!!!!

Awesome news.

Totally fantastic. :)

Stephanie

o_mom
08-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Yay! Great News!!

stefani
08-27-2008, 12:22 AM
I am very relieved!

Just saw your post today. I am so very happy for you! :hug5:

stefani
08-27-2008, 12:36 AM
I am about as BTDT as they come...

Stephanie,
Hugs, P & PT.

From another Stephanie (just different spelling).