PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to get through the airport with a 1 yr old and a 3 1/2 yr old?

HIU8
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I am going to FL in 2 weeks with DD and DS. DH is starting a new job and isn't going and isn't able to take us to the airport. My father is taking us in my car. I was planning on carrying DS's carseat on my back in a backpack carrier. DS will walk. DD will either be in a safeseat that I will put in my P3 or in a Marathon. If I use the Marathon, how do I secure it to the P3 and can I have DD ride in the Marathon secured in the P3 through the airport? DD is too heavy for the carrier I have (I'm not in the position to buy a new one now). Also, when gate checking the P3, should I put it in a clear plastic garbage bag or just leave it as is?

lmwbasye
07-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Okay, well next week I'm flying solo with my 10 month old and 3 1/2 year old. My plan is this...10 month old in safeseat in P3. I'll push this. Wear backpack for carry-on. Pull my 3 year old in his Marathon with the Gogokidz.

I think this will work out well. Wish us luck. LOL!

Thatchermom
07-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Totally not really helpful, but I read your title and all I could think of at midnight was "valium before or a margarita after" since the darned TSA won't allow for my "personal valet" to schlep the stuff and cart the kids option.

I did just do DD 9 months and DS 6 years through airports alone, but only one carseat. DS walked, DD was carried, backpack with computer/camera/wii on my back and the P3 carried all the kid stuff and seat. P3 went in a screaming red Gate Check bag after we made it to the gate. Plan went fine to CA, bit of a glitch leaving Burbank where there are stairs to the plane and no jetway - too much stuff and too few hands. There were two helpful dads in line behind me to board that carried stuff/carseat up for me. Phew!

milesmom
07-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I have done this many times alone on international flights. I check both carseats, I have travel bags for both my britax seats. Use my Phil and Teds to the gate, gate check that...

Also, have sucessfully gotten a pass for my mom to help me to the gate, when leaving from the US. They did it with just a drivers lic. but said next time she should bring her passport. She got a special boarding-ish card and helped us all the way to the plane. I find someone is always willing to help getting on to the plane.

mikeys_mom
07-24-2008, 01:54 PM
When DD was still in her Snugride, I put her in the carseat in the snap'n go, and wore DS's carseat (Graco Cargo) in the Pac Back carseat carrier. I brought a small carry-on bag that I hung on the stroller. DS walked, holding the stroller.
Now that DD is out of the Snugride, I check DS's carseat and wear DD's in the Pac Back carrier. I know all the warnings about not checking carseats, but I can't envision how I would ever make it through the airport with two kids and two seats. I have two Graco seats that I use exclusively for travel. They are much lighter than our MA's and I would not mind as much if they were damaged. The airline usually has a special plastic bag to put them in and then they go in a bin, on the oversized luggage belt.
DD rides in our Maclaren Quest, knapsack hangs on the handlebars and DS either walks or rides on the board that I added onto the back of the Quest.
This setup works great for us. I've done it several times.

If I were you, I would bring the Safeseat in the P3, wear DS's seat on your back, and then DS can either walk or ride on the board on the P3.

HTH.

HIU8
07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I thought of a few other questions though....

Does anyone know if Spirit Airlines will allow a family member not flying to help me to the gate? My father is driving us as DH has to work. I was going to have him bring his passport so he could help me.

If I take DD in a carseat, do I have to take her out of the carseat at security?

Do I need a bag to put my stroller in to gate check it, or can I just fold it up and give it to them?

Should I pack my carseat base or carry it on to the plane in one of my carryon bags?

Thanks again :wavey:

mikeys_mom
07-24-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't know anything about Spirit airlines.

Yes, they will make you take DD out of her carseat at security. They will also make you fold the stroller, so I always avoid putting anything in the basket or in the snack trays.

I have travelled many times, both domestic and international, with my Maclaren Quest and have never put it in a bag. I have never had any problems with it breaking.

I would pack the Safeseat base in your luggage. The less you have to lug onto the plane, the easier it is. I find, the flight attendants are usually helpful, but I try to bring only the bare minimum onto the plane.