PDA

View Full Version : Do you / will you limit your children's use of cell phones?

s_gosney
07-23-2008, 06:06 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/07/23/20080723cell-warning0723-ON.html

Obviously these are unpublished data, etc and nothing conclusive has been shown. Do you think that limiting children's cell phone use as a precaution is needed? I'm not sure what I think yet. We don't have a landline and dd uses my phone a lot to talk to family, etc.

Thoughts?

kristenk
07-23-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't like for DD to talk on the cell phone much at all. Every once in a while, she'll talk on one, but it's maybe a monthly kind of thing, if that.

DH is a software engineer for a cell phone company and prefers that she not use one, especially at such a young age.

pinkmomagain
07-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I have an almost 12 yo, and she texts 99% of the time....an actual phone call? very rarely...and if so, very short. I haven't had time to read the article, will when I get a chance. Don't know if there is suspected danger only when holding it up to the ear or for all use.

eta: school/camp doesn't allow phone use, so the majority of the day is spent without the phone. but outside of that, she does text an awful lot!

MontrealMum
07-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I've seen cell phone use and cancer linked in the news for the last decade or so, although the study mentioned above says it's the first academic research center that has made the connection, so I don't know what they've been referring to up here. In any case, I don't believe in cell phones except for emergency use (yes, I can be very old fashioned) so we will definitely be limiting cell phone use here. Also, it's now illegal to drive with a handheld phone in QC, so there's less temptation for everyone.