PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk GPS?

linsei
07-23-2008, 06:55 PM
DH picked up a Garmin Nuvi 200 today for $150 today. I'm wondering if he made the right choice. It seems to be a lower-end product. I'm wondering if we should go for one that is more updated or has more features? Any input? Thanks!

Java
07-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Depends on what you use it for. We have the 205W and it's perfectly fine for what I need: getting from point A to B.

DH bought it for me so I didn't get to fool around with it at the store. Since Circuit City has a 15% restocking fee, I wasn't going to return for any reason.

Anyway like I said, it works fine for me as I only use it for directional purposes. I don't need the bluetooth capability or games or anything else. DH also uses it when he travels for work and he really likes it. It's way better than hauling out the Thomas Guide in the middle of traffic trying to find his way in a strange city.

He told me to get another one so we'd both have one in each car. I played around with some other brands and found that I like the Tom Tom. (Incidentally, www.CNET.com rates Garmin and Tom Tom pretty high.) What I liked about the TT vs the Nuvi 205 is the TT's ability to let me dictate the unit to avoid freeways and toll roads. I like to view the road I'm taking before I take it. I can't do that easily with the Nuvi, but with the TT I can. I learned that I needed that feature when it directed me to a place I kind of knew how to get there but wasn't sure. I ended up taking the "scenic" route instead of the more direct route.

Anyway, I opted to not get another unit bc it's not used regularly enough to warrant blowing another $200. And if I did get another unit, I'd get a Nuvi so I'd only have to buy one update for both units as opposed to paying for 2 different updates.

Sorry for the long story.

Joolsplus2
07-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Not sure what model it is, but we bought a Nuvi based on excellent Amazon reviews at Xmas...so far it's been great (for DH, who has learned to use it...I'm sure with a 5 minute tutorial, I would love it, too, lol).

:)

wencit
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure if this is going to be important to you, but I don't believe that model has the text-to-speech (TTS). That means you have to look down at the GPS to see when and where you're going to turn next. One of the things I like about my Garmin Nuvi 650 is that it speaks aloud and tells me that I'm going to make a right turn in 200 feet, as opposed to having me look at the map myself, which reduces the amount of time my eyes are distracted from the road.

It may not be a big deal to you, but I think for a little bit more money, you can get a model with TTS. Maybe you should head down to Best Buy, play around with the different GPS units, and determine whether the one DH bought you will suit your needs.

linsei
07-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure if this is going to be important to you, but I don't believe that model has the text-to-speech (TTS). That means you have to look down at the GPS to see when and where you're going to turn next. One of the things I like about my Garmin Nuvi 650 is that it speaks aloud and tells me that I'm going to make a right turn in 200 feet, as opposed to having me look at the map myself, which reduces the amount of time my eyes are distracted from the road.

It may not be a big deal to you, but I think for a little bit more money, you can get a model with TTS. Maybe you should head down to Best Buy, play around with the different GPS units, and determine whether the one DH bought you will suit your needs.

It says it has turn by turn voice directions. Is that different than TTS?

Good point about being distracted.

wencit
07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
It says it has turn by turn voice directions. Is that different than TTS?Hmm, I'm not sure. According to the chart on Amazon, the Nuvi 200 does not have TTS. I don't know if that's supposed to be different from "turn by turn voice directions."

Can you either play with the GPS a little to see if you like it (not sure where your husband bought it and whether you can return without a problem), or try it out in a store?

Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

mikeys_mom
07-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I have the Nuvi 350. I'm not sure of the exact terminology, but when it gives me directions, it will say "In 200 meters, turn left on Main street". I think that the Nuvi 200 will just say "In 200 meters, turn left". I like having it say the name of the street, especially when I am in an unfamiliar city. I have used other GPS units that do not give street names and I find I make more wrong turns that way. Of course, I have a horrible sense of direction! With my Nuvi 350, I rarely make a wrong turn.

daniele_ut
07-24-2008, 03:47 PM
We have the Garmin Nuvi 360 and we really like it so far. My dh was really interested in having the Bluetooth feature, so we paid a little more for the 360, but it was still just right around $200.

kcimato
07-25-2008, 09:23 AM
I have the 350 and love it. I think Mikeys mom pointed out the difference. The only thing you have to be careful with is that sometimes streets have 2 names and if it is not posted the same as they say it can be confusing. One tome it told me to turn on Harriet Tubman Way and the actual street name was Michigan Ave.

Don't pay for extra features you don't need.

linsei
07-25-2008, 11:07 AM
We used it last night and it says "turn left in 0.3 miles" and displays "turn left on Main Street". I'm able to mount the unit in a spot easily viewed, so I don't think it is much of an issue. Thanks everyone for helping me!