PDA

View Full Version : stuttering

kedss
07-23-2008, 07:38 PM
hi all-

nak

ds(4,5 years) started stuttering about 3 weeks ago, I was a stutterer and I know how hard it is for him, but its driving me crazy, I've tried asking him to slow down, is there something else I can do to help him?

thanks!

Karenn
07-23-2008, 07:51 PM
My kids stutter. I thought this page had helpful advice:

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=38

There's some other helpful stuff on that same website.

I also found this website helpful:
http://www.nsastutter.org/subcat/index.php?subid=177

kedss
07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
thank you, I'll check those out :)

mom2binsd
07-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi,

I'm an SLP (speech therapist) with a special interest and love of working with students with dysfluency (stuttering) but having never met your son I don't want to make any specific recommendations... but he may be going through a stage of developmental stuttering (which is very normal and many kids go through it from age 2-6)...it may not last longer than a few months....but knowing that stuttering does have a genetic component I wouldn't want to dismiss it either....therapists have found telling kids to slow down doesn't really have a positive impact even though that's the instinctual thing to do.. but do try to avoid asking any direct questions that only have one specific answer rather try to keep conversations more open ended like "tell me about you day" rather than questions that only have one response...try to slow your rate of speaking down and keep a "calm" atmosphere when engaging in conversations... and if he's really excited to tell you something and stutters through the whole thing just try to let it go....practice keeping a calm face and try not to react to the stuttering (and let others like older siblings or caregivers in on these ideas).

Those links are great places to start...both stuttering foundations are wonderful resources...and a private practice SLP may also be of help (I worked in the schools and stuttering therapy often involves parents as much as the child and so school therapists have a much harder time working on stuttering in those measly 30 or 60 minute a week therapy sessions!)

PM me if you have any more questions.