PDA

View Full Version : Computer picking help

o_mom
07-23-2008, 09:56 PM
What's the "must have" minimum specs on a laptop?

Mainly for internet (duh!), some photoediting/photobooks, financial stuff, CD/DVD burning. I am way out of touch with the latest processors, etc., so if someone could just point me to what I need I would appreciate it. :D

ETA: Mac is not an option.... :)

cvanbrunt
07-23-2008, 10:32 PM
That's easy. A Mac.

bubbaray
07-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Anything other than a Dell. I have a Dell desktop and will never let another Dell darken my doorstep again. Its a piece of crapola.

LD92599
07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
You'll never look back!

o_mom
07-23-2008, 11:01 PM
That's easy. A Mac.

Sorry, should have put that in the OP.... no Macs here. I'm still holding a grudge for the pain they put me through in grad school. :p

bubbaray
07-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Well, if you're not going Mac, we have Toshiba laptops at work and they withstand a lot of abuse/travel. From what I understand, they are highly rated. Not sure about specs, though. At home we always end up buying double the RAM that's offered b/c DH runs AutoCAD and it sucks up RAM like crazy.

ThreeofUs
07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
You know, most laptops now come with sufficient memory to do just about anything "consumer-related" you want.

We also always get much more of what Melissa called RAM (but what I know as just memory, as opposed to drive capacity) than the normal packages. The more memory you have, the easier it is to do work with large/complex packages - like photos, for example.

Also, if you're going to be working with photographs, I'd go for a larger screen on the laptop OR get a screen you can plug into.

FWIW, we're also a Mac family. Moved from PCs a few years ago and never looked back, but I understand your aversion.