PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scouts?

lisams
07-24-2008, 12:07 AM
For the last few months DD has been talking about Girl Scouts, I'm not sure where she heard about it, but she's very interested. Anyways, I'm curious to learn about other's experiences and thoughts. What do GS typically do at the meetings, especially at this age (5-6). What kind of commitment is there, like weekly meetings, etc. Any other thoughts?

mskitty
07-24-2008, 01:13 AM
For the last few months DD has been talking about Girl Scouts, I'm not sure where she heard about it, but she's very interested. Anyways, I'm curious to learn about other's experiences and thoughts. What do GS typically do at the meetings, especially at this age (5-6). What kind of commitment is there, like weekly meetings, etc. Any other thoughts?

Meetings for the Daisy Girl Scouts generally are shorter (1 -1.5 hours) with multiple activities. For the past several years, the programs have focused on earning petals as Daisies or Try Its as Brownies. Very few troops meet weekly... Most meet 2-3 times a month; maybe twice as a regular troop and once as a special event such as field trip, badge day, etc. Each troop sets its own schedule and the program is very dependent on the leader. I strongly encourage parents to be active volunteers with their daughter's troop.

The Girl Scouts are rolling out a new program in the next year so the format will pretty much stay the same but the "official program" of Petals/Try Its will be transitioning to something new and the official program ages/names will be changing soon.

Corie is the current resident expert as she just finished a year as a troop leader. See the following thread:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=244750&highlight=girl+scout

My troop hosted the Daisy - Brownie Lockin for our Service Unit this year. The Daisy and Brownie Girl Scouts earned the "Let's Pretend" Try It by doing the following: made a mask, learned a song, played a game, learned a new dance, created a group machine(charades), played dress up, learned how to mime, learned several tongue twisters and proper breathing to talk louder plus had plenty of snacks.

egoldber
07-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Sarah was a Daisy last year and will be a Brownie this year. She's attending a GS Nature Camp this week actually. She LOVES the Girl Scouts. What I like about it is that it is an organization that promotes that girls can do anything. She loves the rituals, songs, games, and the activities.

Your experience will vary based on the troop and the troop leader. Some leaders and troops take themselves more seriously than others IYKWIM. Her troop (the whole troop is transitioning to Brownies this year) and leader is very laid back. Her leader also has a DH who travels a lot (like mine) so she gets what its like to have a DH gone frequently, so she is very understanding and patient with my having to bring Amy to a lot of meetings. Amy is fairly disruptive so that's good for me. :) Also, Daisies do not sell GS cookies.

Her troop meets twice a month and then occasionally also for field trips. Parents are expected to have some "job" for the troop. I was the "Talker" meaning I called people and sent e-mail reminders about upcoming events, etc. A parent/child is also supposed to bring a snack for the meeting (this rotates). I also always helped out by bringing in craft items.

My biggest frustration was that I thought the meetings were a bit overscheduled and that a lot of the crafts were kind of junky. Also the leader/field trip person was a bit lackng in follow through, so a lot of the field trips never happened which really disappointed Sarah who LIVES for field trips.

Corie
07-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I survived my first year as a Daisy Troop leader!!
My friend and I were co-leaders of the troop.

We met EVERY Monday from 4:30-5:30pm. It is up to
the leaders to decide the meeting time, location, etc.
We are changing to every other week this year. It was just
too much meeting every single week. That was tough.

Our troop consists of 10 girls and we have no plans to take
any more girls. We have a good group. The girls are
starting 1st grade this year at the same elementary school.

I think we have a fun troop!! We have ALOT of parents
ask us if their girls can join our troop. So we must be
doing something right! :)

(I get a babysitter for my son while I am at our meetings.)

Corie
07-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Also, Daisies do not sell GS cookies.

I've heard rumors that this is changing this year.

Personally, I think a Daisy is too little to sell but GS didn't
ask me.

missliss55
07-24-2008, 10:32 AM
I am going to be a Daisy scout leader this fall and I just had a meeting about it last night. And we were told that Dasiys will be allowed to sell girl scout cookies. They are not supposed to do any door to door sales or site sales, but they can bring home the order form and sell to friends and family if they wish. Also I believe the time they are allowed to do it is smaller and starts a little later (but I could be wrong on that one). But yes, they will be allowed to sell this year.

pinkmomagain
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
My experience is that it is all about the troop leaders. If they are good, dd should have a good experience. My dd's troop only meets 10 times maybe the whole school year.