PDA

View Full Version : question about flying with an infant carseat

CBB
07-24-2008, 11:12 AM
We will be flying in 2 days. We have a Graco safeseat1 for 10mo DS. We will have a car after we arrive, but will not be spending too much time driving. Would it be okay to install the carseat in the car and plane without the base? Can someone tell me how? I assume he will be rear facing on the plane, too.

TIA!

o_mom
07-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Yes, it is fine to use without the base. When I flew with DS3 at that age I used it without the base on the plane and checked the base in luggage. I put the base in a big suitcase and packed a bunch of clothes around it.

To install it without the base you bring the lap portion of the belt over the top by where their feet are. You pass it under the hooks that are on the sides of the seat. Pull tight on the lap portion until it is super tight, then lock the shoulder belt (in the car). On the airplane I found that I had to put it way down on the male end of the buckle webbing before buckling and tightening because the double thickness of the belt end wouldn't slide through the hooks easily. Check your manual for pictures and instructions.

BIG NOTE: The buckle usually ends up right in front of them on the airplane. Bring a small blanket or something to cover it or they will find it the Best Game Ever (tm) to open the buckle about 3,657 times before you even take off.

maestramommy
07-24-2008, 01:51 PM
We always travel without the base. the plane (and car) seatbelt threads through loops on the front of the seat. Which makes getting the baby in and out a bit of a pain, but doable. On the plane what I do is I thread the seat belt through and tighten it up, but don't buckle. Then I put dd into it. I strap her in and buckle when the plane starts moving out. She has played with the seatbelt but has never tried to unbuckle it. She'd rather chew on the strap:)

tylersmama
07-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Yup, we never took the base when traveling with DS in the infant seat. It was pretty easy to install the seat using the belt whenever we'd be in a car, only took a minute or two!

mom2binsd
07-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Yes, it has to be installed rearfacing on the plane...same as in the car...bringing the base is really personal choice...I did because I was staying for 2 weeks and hate using a seatbelt install in a rental...if you don't bring the base (like PP said put it in a bag with clothes around it) practice the seatbelt install and remember it may be hot and muggy when installing...I hate fighting with the belt and always like the ease of plopping into the base.

HIU8
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
When I take DD and DS to FL next month, we have a 25 minute drive via highway and major road to get to my mothers (in her car). Is it safe to install the Safeseat via seatbelt only for just that drive (until we get home and I can get the base out of the suitecase)?

bubbaray
07-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Yes, it is safe to install an infant car seat without the base for any period of time, assuming your instruction manual allows that type of install (and the SafeSeat does allow it). The base only provides convenience, not extra safety.