PDA

View Full Version : Costco Bedroom Suites for DC

lilycat88
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Anyone have a Costco bedroom suite for your DC? We're contemplating getting one like this:

http://tiny.cc/xM5jE

It is really meant to be her "little girl" room so it doesn't have to be the top top quality. That way, she can pick something she likes when she gets older and has more of an opinion. I always hated the very expensive Ethan Allen furniture my parents got for my room when I was a child so I'd like to give her some choice when she wants it.

Thanks,
Jamelin

bubbaray
07-24-2008, 04:53 PM
We purchased a set that looked identical to that from Costco Canada about 2 years ago (IIRC, it was made by Cafe Kid or some similiar company in China). We let it air out for SIX months and it still STANK. Seriously, it made the whole house reek of chemicals, paint, & glue. DD#1s allergist thought it might have triggered asthma in her too. So, she never really even slept in it. We took it back for a full refund and purchased the Hemnes set from Ikea.

I really like the "look" of the Costco set (sleighbed with trundle), but it was seriously not usable. As a result, DH won't allow any Costco furniture into the house. Period.

ThreeofUs
07-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Bummer about Melissa's experience. Our experience has been exactly the opposite (thank goodness!).

Both we and DH's brother's family bought Costco furniture for our DSs, and we have been extremely happy with the quality, durability and "fit" for a kid's room. Our bunk set is the envy of the neighborhood as well as the whole family!

Now, I have to say that I called the folks who made my DS's furniture, and they were in CA, with US factories.

niccig
07-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I don't know about the quality, but at least with Costco you can return for full refund without any hassle. We're currently in a disupte over DS's bed. The manufacturer is sending a replacement bed, but if that has the same problem, the store we bought it from, only gives store credit as a refund. We're hopping the replacement bed is fine, but if not, we may have to dispute credit card charge to get our money back. So, if you're willing to try it out, at least you know you can return to Costco if there's problems.

o_mom
07-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Only 1 hr 45 min to IKEA..... (not that I would know or anything ;) ) Up for a road trip?

cvanbrunt
07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Only 1 hr 45 min to IKEA..... (not that I would know or anything ;) ) Up for a road trip?
Seriously? Is there one in Ohio? I thought Chicagoland was the closest.

o_mom
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Seriously? Is there one in Ohio? I thought Chicagoland was the closest.

Yep. Just north of Cincinnati in West Chester (I-75 & I-275).

ThreeofUs
07-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Yep. Just north of Cincinnati in West Chester (I-75 & I-275).
Yeah. And that's the ONLY Ikea in Ohio, too, darn it all. In NE Ohio, we have to go to Pittsburgh, which is a real bummer of a 2.5 hour drive....

TonFirst
07-25-2008, 12:35 AM
We have the Cafe Kid bed from Costco in the "Jason" style - it's the blue bed with the trundle. We absolutely love the bed. It is rock-solid and I kave no doubt that my son will use it until he heads off to college - or hits 6 feet ; ) The quality of the bed is fantastic - it easily meets or beats Pottery Barn Kids of Land of Nod.