PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a dentist for DC?

catpagmo
07-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I have yet to take DD to the dentist for the first time. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a dentist for her? I plan on taking her to a kid's dentist, but other than that, what else should I be looking for?

Thanks!

mecawa
07-24-2008, 06:01 PM
If you are bringing her to a pediatric dentist they should have all the qualifications and skills for dealing with children. My DD who is 4 went to the dentist for the first time at 3, and I was amazed at the sensitivity and flexibility of the dentist, hygentist, and overall staff. The second one we went to (because we moved) was the same way. Basically I look for sensitivity, flexibility, child friendly office, cheerful staff, etc. I think most dentists that specialize in pediatric dentistry you will find to be this way. Good Luck!!!

o_mom
07-24-2008, 06:34 PM
#1 for me was that they allow the parents to go with the kids. You would not believe the number of places that have policies which forbid parents to come with kids. Soory, but not going to happen with my 2 yo (or 3, 4, etc). Ours does individual rooms for exams until age 4.5-5-ish. Then they have a row of chairs and the parents sit in a bench area at one end, in full view the entire time.

catpagmo
07-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for sharing your insights, ladies. I wouldn't have thought that some dentists don't allow you to go with your kiddo. I think that's a bit over the top, and not going to happen with my DD, either. I will definitely want to go with her.

rlu
07-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Our dentist sees DS. Our dentist is our age and his kids are slightly older than DS. Not all dentist are family dentists, but if you are happy with the dentist you see, why not ask if they work with kids? Our dentist is great with DS.

We also take DS to DH's barber for haircuts - he's got kids and grandkids and is great with DS. Less expensive than a "kid's cut" place.

infocrazy
07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
#1 for me was that they allow the parents to go with the kids. You would not believe the number of places that have policies which forbid parents to come with kids. Soory, but not going to happen with my 2 yo (or 3, 4, etc). Ours does individual rooms for exams until age 4.5-5-ish. Then they have a row of chairs and the parents sit in a bench area at one end, in full view the entire time.

My personal dentist is like this...She says it is because the parents are trying to help make the kid feel better but the kid gets more worked up trying to be near the parent. DS1 would FREAK if I just left him in the dentist chair and was out of sight. I am going to look for a pediatric dentist for him...oh, soon actually.

WatchingThemGrow
07-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Our is really nice. She has great toys, and her office has nice dramatic windows. She lets the little ones sit straddling the parent's lap and lean back into her lap. She works on them upside down, which has been great for the 3 times we've been. She actually had her own DS just before my DS was born, so I've invited her to our playgroup. We ran into her out strollering around this morning in the neighborhood, so I'm thinking my DC will be pretty cool with her if she sees them occasionally. She came highly recommended from our two friends going INTO pediatric dentistry in other places. Yes, we live near a dental school, so these people are all around.

Gena
07-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I have had a hard time finding a dentist for DS, because of both his age and his special needs. In our area, most dentists who see young kids will not allow the parents in the exam room with the child. Worse, if the child is not cooperative many of these dentists will use a "papoose board" to complete the exam. Although I will allow the use of a papoose board for some medically necessary procedures (stitches to the head, for example), I will NOT allow my child to be strapped down and immobilized for routine exams.

I was able to finally find a dentist who does see young kids and special needs kids and does not use restraints. He's out of network for my insurance and costs twice as much as the other dentists in the area. But he's a very kind and gentle dentist who is willing to work with us to make DS comfortable.

So my advice is to ask if you will be allowed in the room with your child AND ask how they handle kids who are unwilling or unable to cooperate with the exam.

niccig
07-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I have had a hard time finding a dentist for DS, because of both his age and his special needs. In our area, most dentists who see young kids will not allow the parents in the exam room with the child. Worse, if the child is not cooperative many of these dentists will use a "papoose board" to complete the exam. Although I will allow the use of a papoose board for some medically necessary procedures (stitches to the head, for example), I will NOT allow my child to be strapped down and immobilized for routine exams.

Strap them down for an exam - wow, what I way to make them get a phobia about the dentist. I might understand if doing necessary dental work or something, but just for a cleaning, no way. We see a pediatric dentist, and DS has only been once and wasn't very cooperative. They did the best they could and told me, they'll get to clean more in the next visits, so nothing to worry about.

SnuggleBuggles
07-25-2008, 07:12 PM
We went to our family dentist up until ds got a cavity and refused to have it filled there at age 5.5yo. At our family practice I always went in with him and sat through the exam. At the pediatric dentist they do not let me go back there. I have mixed feelings about that. I can understand that my anxiety can make it harder for the dentist to do his job. But, I don't like that he is all alone. However, since he is older I have chosen to make it a non issue. Ds has told me that they never strap him down. I heard someone say that on here a few months ago and it freaked me out that that could have happened to ds. Thank goodness it didn'!

If I were to say what one of the very biggest things I would seek in a dentist for dc is one that does x-rays at an early age! Ds went in for a small visible cavity but when they did x-rays there (his first set) they found many more in between his molars. i cringe to think how bad thongs would have gotten before they were visible with the naked eye! The ped. dentist said that they are always trying to get family practices to do them younger but most don't start till age 6.

Beth

caheinz
07-25-2008, 09:57 PM
We got a recc from our pediatrician. He knows him well -- he's the husband of one of his colleagues, and it's where his kids have always gone.

They don't allow parents in the back while the work is being done. I thought I would be uncomfortable with that, but with the strength of the recommendation (every recc we've gotten from the ped has been excellent, so I trust his advice explicitly), I tried it. I was amazed -- there was only one kid who hesitated to go back (the first thing a kid does is pick out a video to watch during the cleaning), and most were enthusiastic. (Full range, from toddlers to pre-teens.) They do invite the parents back to speak to the dentist when the work is done, and any and all questions are answered fully.

DS loves going to the dentist, BTW (keeps asking for extra visits!). And he even had to get a couple of fillings the first time! It's such a clearly kid-centered place... I wish I had gotten to see that kind of dentist!

So, if you can, get a recommendation from someone -- doctor, friend, relative... anyone you trust!