PDA

View Full Version : How did you teach wiping and re-dressing?

KBecks
07-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Alek is PT'd but he asks for help to wipe and re-dress. He's starting preschool and I'm not sure if I need to work on this more or just let him catch on when he's there. I don't want to put him in a situation where he's going to be embarassed yet I don't want to pressure him.

Thanks!

sarahsthreads
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
We're still working on wiping. Not sure DD is *ever* going to get it! But basically, we ask her to wipe first, then when we wipe we remind her that she needs to wipe where we do ("can you feel where I'm wiping?") then ask her to try again. It actually wasn't a problem in preschool last year because she tends to be a once-a-day kind of girl, and it's usually just before bedtime.

As far as re-dressing, every pair of pants DD owns now have elastic waistbands. That's the only way she can be independent for bathroom breaks. (Well, that or dresses, but I'm guessing you don't want to use those for Alek!)

Sarah :)

KBecks
07-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks. I think Alek just needs more encouragement and practice. Sometimes he has put his own underwear on (usually backwards, but that's OK!) and I think he needs to get the hang of getting the clothing all the way up, and he seems more interested in having me doing it for him and I may just have to stop doing that or ask him to keep trying first.

Wiping, he knows he's supposed to wipe but he wants me to do it, and I think I need to push him a little. He is very insistent about me doing these things for him (and I do so I'm contributing to the issue).