PDA

View Full Version : Do u think this is normal

TraciG
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
My DD fell asleep on a chair at 3:45 yesterday, my SIL tried to wake her & finally got her up ( kind of ) a half hour later, I try not to let her sleep so she will go to bed at 8, she will be 5 in 3 month's . She was crazy, I mean who like's to be woken up but the way she acted was scary almost. She was whining, screaming & just making weird sound's. She wouldn't eat dinner with us was mean to my MIL then continued this "tantrum " in the kitchen under the highchair. I finally got her in her room & told her to just go to bed, then my MIL went in & was trying to tickle her & make her laugh, didn't work at all & I was afraid my MIL would get hurt from my DD's kicking.

From the other room you would have thought she was being abused ! My MIL had to leave then a little later Sydney came out like a normal person.

Anyone else's children act like this from being so tired ?

Laurel
07-25-2008, 12:33 PM
We occasionally see similar behavior when DD (4) falls asleep in the late afternoon.

If she is ok today I would chalk it up to fatigue-induced crankiness.

lizajane
07-25-2008, 12:37 PM
that is exactly what happens if you wake up dylan.

TraciG
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
That's what I thought, when I told my mother she thought it wasn't normal & that I should look into it. Well my parent's also thought we should stop sending Sydney to camp since she seemed to hate it & cry all the time, meanwhile it was just a separation issue, so a little over reacting .

Juts checking, Thanks

new_mommy25
07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Definitely normal.

Piglet
07-25-2008, 01:17 PM
That's what I thought, when I told my mother she thought it wasn't normal & that I should look into it. Well my parent's also thought we should stop sending Sydney to camp since she seemed to hate it & cry all the time, meanwhile it was just a separation issue, so a little over reacting .

Juts checking, Thanks

Okay, let's just get one thing straight - have your ILs ever dispensed parenting advice that was worth following? I am not trying to be snarky, but they always seem to be undermining your parenting and getting in the way of your wishes for your family. You have to 1) stop listening and 2) stop giving their parenting advice even a minute of your time and energy. You are the mom and you know your kids. You know what is normal and what isn't normal. Tell them as much and don't sugar coat it or you make them think that they have a say.

egoldber
07-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Sarah had tantrums like that when she was 5 from being overtired from school. The WORST tantrums she ever had were when she was in K. They were scary.

Clarity
07-25-2008, 01:36 PM
My 2 year old wakes up like this occassionally. Most especially when dh or I have woken her before she's ready. She's inconsolable and we have to watch out for flying arms and kicking legs. Sounds pretty normal to me.

MarisaSF
07-25-2008, 02:40 PM
*I* would throw a fit if someone woke me up from a nap! Lemme sleep!
Seriously, DD has done the same a few times. Now we know not to wake her. Better still, we try our best not to let her fall asleep in the first place.

As PP said though, don't listen to your in laws. It's common sense that anyonecwoken from a nap would be upset.

saschalicks
07-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Let me say that I am 32 years old and my reaction would be the exact same. I like my sleep. Her reacion sounds VERY normal. Those in your family who do not think so obviously have never been woken up on the wrong side of the bed.

niccig
07-25-2008, 06:08 PM
You just described me when I get woken up. Seriously, as a child family would wake me then jump across the room to be out of the way. I'm a little better now. DS is the same, and when he's super grumpy DH makes me deal with it, payback of sorts. For DS, I give him a sippy cup of milk and let him either wake up slowly in his room, or he can go into the family room and watch some Curious George. 30 mins later, he's a totally different child.

TraciG
07-27-2008, 10:44 PM
It was actually MY MOTHER who thought something might be wrong. Also I was the one who told my SIL to wake Sydney up because she wanted to see them, they came after she fell asleep & I didn't want her to wake up 2 hour's later then be up all night !

I TRY every day to keep Sydney up now that she goes all day to camp, it is NOT easy , I am like the sleep police !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It happened again on the weekend , she fell asleep in the car in the way to the mall, she did wake up herself but not happy, whining & crying in the mall, I have to say we weren't happy with her she also had a bad attitude & was hitting me but I know she was still tired, so for now on I will be more understanding now that I know it's not on purpose .

Thanks !