PDA

View Full Version : Action Requested: Proposed Changes to Special Education Law

Gena
07-25-2008, 05:09 PM
For those not familiar, IDEA is the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and is the federal law that regulates special education in the US. The Department of Education has released proposed changes to IDEA. The most important change is to limit the use of lay parent advocates (non-attorneys) in due process hearings. This would put parents at considerable disadvantage since there are few special education lawyers in some areas and many parents cannot afford the attorney fees.

If you have a child who receives special education services or you know a child who does, please check out this website which includes instructions on how to submit comments to the Secretary of Education.

http://ncld.convio.net/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage_lac

The deadline to submit comments is Monday July 28 at 5pm. Sorry for the late notice, but I just learned about this myself.

pinkmomagain
07-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks Gena...I have two kiddos with 504s...thankfully I haven't needed and advocate or lawyer so far...but one never knows.

vludmilla
07-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi Gina,
I know you didn't ask, but 504 plans are NOT governed by IDEA so the new regs, if they are implemented, won't affect you. Technically, Section 504 plans are considered regular education, not special education.

pinkmomagain
07-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Good to know. I'm all about supporting special education, so happy to have done it!