PDA

View Full Version : Where is the thread on kids' meal ideas?

asha
07-25-2008, 07:19 PM
I remember there was a great thread a while ago with meal ideas and stuff, mainly for kids I guess.

With DS1 starting K in a month, I am trying to get organized to help mornings go smoother. I should have bookmarked the thread, I did not. Now I am not sure how to search for it. I tried different things, could not locate the thread.

Thanks ladies,
Asha

brittone2
07-25-2008, 09:12 PM
I remember there was a great thread a while ago with meal ideas and stuff, mainly for kids I guess.

With DS1 starting K in a month, I am trying to get organized to help mornings go smoother. I should have bookmarked the thread, I did not. Now I am not sure how to search for it. I tried different things, could not locate the thread.

Thanks ladies,
Asha

I'm not sure about the original thread, but this blog is inspiring, IMO:

(she's vegan, but you can easily de-veganize the ideas, and yes, she's over the top with the cuteness/time factor, but still plenty of interesting ideas)
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

There's a great MDC thread called "toddler snack tray ideas" or something like that. A lot of it could be put into a lunchbox.

ARe you looking more for stuff to pack for lunches, or morning breakfasts ideas, or something else entirely?

MelissaTC
07-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Here is a list I usually post to such threads...

Preschooler Lunch Ideas

Cream cheese spread on graham crackers

Cheese sandwich cut into fun shapes

Cheese on a tortilla, rolled up

Spread flavored cream cheese on whole wheat bread

Whole wheat pretzels with a small container of cream cheese, apple butter or cheese dip

Grate cooked carrots and mix with other veggies and fun shaped pasta. Toss with salad dressing and serve cold. Pack in sandwich bag. Remember to include a plastic fork and paper plate in lunch box!

Fruit salad

Bag full of mixed cereals

Yogurt cups

Muffins made with whole grains and fruits, even carrot or veggie muffins

Fresh fruit- rub apple with lemon juice, fresh or canned pineapple, melon or kiwi slices

Crackers served plain or sandwiched with cheese, cream cheese, mozzarella sticks

Dried fruits- apricots, apples or pineapples

Tortilla chips with salsa

Cold meat loaf in bite size pieces

Cheese- gouda, cheddar, feta, muenster, provolone, mozzarella

Veggies- sliced cucumbers, grated carrots, sliced tomatoes (include ranch dressing for dipping!)

Bread ideas- tortillas, whole wheat, whitewheat, pumpernickel, crackers, hot dog bun, mini-pita, croissant

Fig newtons

Pudding

Anything in a pita- Taco filling with lettuce, cheese and salsa; Cheese melt, wrap in foil; Apples with cinammon, sugar and lemon juice in warm buttered pita, wrap in foil

deannanb
07-25-2008, 09:54 PM
veagan lunchbox does have some good ideas

here is another similar one I like:

http://lunchinabox.net/

StantonHyde
07-27-2008, 02:03 PM
I am also looking for kindergarten lunch ideas. We don't do vegan (DS could live on dairy alone) but vegetarian is ok.

DS looooves peanut butter but that is out for obvious reasons. He really likes cheese sandwiches--so that works. And then fruit and some pretzels??

Any references appreciated--books, web etc. Thanks!

asha
07-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Sorry, I did not get to post all weekend.

We are vegetarian, not vegan. So, these help. Most times, I end up seeing lists with lots of non-vegetarian choices. So, this is way better.

Thanks,
Asha