PDA

View Full Version : Need Vacation Sleeping Arrangement Solution For Active Sleeper

randomkid
07-28-2008, 12:19 AM
DD is 3.5yo and has only slept away from home one night at my parents' home and they had a rough time getting her to bed. She naps there and at the sitter's or where ever we happen to be, but at night, she wants to be in her bed. She is also very active - all over the place - so she is still in her crib. She loves her crib and it keeps her "contained" (for lack of a better word). And, the added bonus is that she doesn't get up and wander around the house or into our room in the middle of the night. :)

Here's my dilemma - Every August, my parents rent a condo at the beach for a month. We usually just go for the day, but this year we want to stay for the weekend. DD will NOT sleep in the bed with us, or even just me, so I need a solution. The condo has 3 bedrooms, but I think DD would be too scared to be in a room alone, plus she would likely fall out of a regular bed. I know this because she fell out of bed with me once when she was sick and we were sleeping in the guest room. I was thinking about a twin air bed/mattress. Any other suggestions? If you think the air bed/mattress is a good idea, do you have recommendations?

Thank you!

WatchingThemGrow
07-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Have you considered the kids aerobed? It has raised sides that would deter her from rolling out.

BeachBum
07-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Or you could consider renting a crib.

egoldber
07-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Can you push a bed against the wall and use a bed rail? Or use 2 bed rails?

JMS
07-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Have you considered the kids aerobed? It has raised sides that would deter her from rolling out.

DD loves her aerobed at my parent's house. Usually amazon and walmart have the cheapest price.

randomkid
07-28-2008, 09:09 AM

This sounds perfect, but in reading reviews on Amazon, the main complaint seems to be that it is noisy. Since DD moves a lot and she is a light sleeper, this would be a concern for us.

For those who have this bed, do you find this to be a problem? Do you have any solutions for the noise?

WatchingThemGrow
07-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Ours has a thick flannel sheet that came with it. I guess it does make a little bit of noise if they move around, but we didn't notice it when she was sleeping in the same room with us. DD surely didn't notice it. The only thing that woke her up was DH flipping over. Grr... I'd say it is less noisy than a crib rail rattling.

Mikey0709
07-28-2008, 09:36 AM
I had the same problem.... we ended up buying the kids aerobed which we traveled with a few times... but my son constantly still rolled out of it - - even with the raised sides!!! he is very active also. I thought it was VERY noisy too -but the noise didn't seem to wake him up, only me. I think this was still a safe option for him because he rolled into the floor - instead of falling, but i think i had to lift him back onto it about 2-3 times some nights.

When he moved out of his crib at home into a twin bed... we had to find the LONGEST bed rails possible - - they are almost the whole legth of the twin bed on both sides which just a few inches at the bottom for him to climb in and out of. I still find him in the morning laying between the bed rail and the side of the mattress, but it prevents him from falling out. If his brother didn't need the crib - i probably would have had him still in it... but we have been in the twin bed with x-long rails for 9 months now and he has never fallen out.

We're traveling again next month, and i just bought a peapod plus to try. So far he loves playing in his tent, and i actually think he may do well sleeping in there since it will keep him semi-enclosed - and CLOSE to the floor. We're going to try sleeping in it once at home first. My son is 3 (size 3T) and the peapod PLUS is definately still big enough for him... i think we'll be able to use it for another year or two. I'm thinking just by looking at it that the Peapod Plus was probably a better option for us rather than the kids aerobed.

Hope this helps!

Clarity
07-28-2008, 10:25 AM
We visited the MIL recently and didn't have satisfactory sleeping arrangements for dd either. She'd outgrown the PnP, the air mattress sprung a leak, she's too little for her own room/bed..etc. So...dd slept on the FLOOR. She did. We put a thick rug underneath her, laid a folded comforter over that and she slept on top of the comforter. I propped pillows up to keep her from rolling under our bed and she seemed to do just fine. I don't know that we will make a habit of this but it worked in a pinch!

edited to correct misspelling

Pennylane
07-28-2008, 10:38 AM
You can always rent a crib at the beach. We have done that before and they will have it all set up when you get there. I can't imagine it would cost too much for a weekend.

We also have used the kids aero bed and I have not noticed much noise. But maybe my dd is a sound sleeper.

Ann

o_mom
07-28-2008, 10:47 AM
A bit pricey, but we like the Phil and Teds travel cot (I bought it used). It is like a PNP, but the mattress is directly on the ground so the weight limit is higher. It packs very small. I think there are a couple other similar ones out there.

randomkid
07-28-2008, 03:01 PM
We're traveling again next month, and i just bought a peapod plus to try. So far he loves playing in his tent, and i actually think he may do well sleeping in there since it will keep him semi-enclosed - and CLOSE to the floor. We're going to try sleeping in it once at home first. My son is 3 (size 3T) and the peapod PLUS is definately still big enough for him... i think we'll be able to use it for another year or two. I'm thinking just by looking at it that the Peapod Plus was probably a better option for us rather than the kids aerobed.

Hope this helps!

This is great! I thought about the Peapod, but figured it would be too small for DD now. I didn't know about the Peapod Plus - she would LOVE it! She is totally into girly things right now (weird for me as I was a tomboy and somehow thought DD would be as well - don't ask me why I thought that :shrug:), so she would go crazy for that pink one.

Can you get it at a B&M store anywhere? We are going this weekend and don't want to chance having it shipped. This weekend just snuck up on me. Even when I posted this today, I thought I had 2 weeks!