PDA

View Full Version : Disney Music Block Party - Any reviews?

Jen841
07-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Anyone go to Tom's River last weekend? Considering Philly this weekend. Price is steep in comparison to other concerts we have attended. Worth it? Advise?

Thanks!

Jen841
07-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Kids I think would love this. Just $36 a person + Ticketmaster fees seems steep!

writermama
07-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I went to the Baltimore show (Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia) yesterday. We saw Choo Choo Soul, Ralph's World, They Might Be Giants and Dan Zanes. Each band played for about 45 minutes -- about the right length considering the heat and the attention spans. They set up their own stage with a dance area in front, some chairs, bleachers, and an area to sit on blankets -- they did not use the normal ampitheatre venue.

We had a great time, will do it again next year if we like the bands. The highlight: my DD and DH got a photo taken with Dan Zanes.

There was a giant inflated "mist tent" that misted water on you as you walked through. There were tents with activities for popular Disney Channel shows (Handy Manny, Mickey Mouse, and I think one other) a Radio Disney tent with a DJ and dancing and where bands would appear for autographs before or after their sets, a big tent with instruments (drums, strings, keyboards), and then about three tents sponsored by Playschool with toys (one was play-doh, one was some kind of helmet heroes thingie, and the one we spent the most time in had play houses, a video dance floor, sit-n-spins and a golf game, and the Kota Triceratops toy. My 5 year old DD loved playing in this tent, and I loved not having to buy or live with these toys. There were outdoor sand boxes and RC vehicles, too, but we were only outside for the bands.

My advice -- bring your own drinks and snacks (Merriweather allowed this) because the stuff they sell is $$$. Be sure to bring hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, portable mist fans or anything else you want to deal with heat and sun. Bring a blanket -- you can use it to sit on the ground or hot bleachers and you can use it to save seats. Also, doors open about an hour before the start time, get there early to play in the tents before they jam up. I found the best place to watch the acts was up in front in the Family Dance section -- suprisingly, it wasn't as loud there.