PDA

View Full Version : Custom Framing At Michael's, JoAnn's, AC Moore?

randomkid
07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
DD painted a really nice painting at the sitter's and I would like to have it framed. It's an odd size. so it would have to be custom. As this is just on paper and will likely go in her room, I don't care to spend a lot or have superb custom framing for it (I actually know someone for that, but it's too costly).

Here's the painting - do you think this is worth framing? I'm not crazy about the red mark at the bottom, but I'm thinking there may be a way to get rid of or disguise it - any ideas?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/randomkidfl/P10202970010-1.jpg

Have any of you used any of these craft stores for custom framing? They always seem to have 50-60% off coupons in the paper, so I thought it might be a good option. Just don't want to waste time and money if they aren't worth it.

Thanks in advance!

WatchingThemGrow
07-28-2008, 09:45 AM
I had a plate of postage stamps framed for my dad several years ago, and I almost choked at the price, even with the 50% off coupon. It seems like it would be really nice to have it since the thought did occur to you, so if you'd like to keep it up for a long time, maybe you should!

What I plan on doing is... getting some larger identical frames with matting and making a grouping on the wall. Then I the art work can be switched out whatever size the paper might be, and I don't have to "redo" the hanging spots or find new places. I'm thinking it will be hard to move on from certain pieces to new ones, so not all of them will change frequently.

JTsMom
07-28-2008, 09:47 AM
We had 3 large (16X20) photos framed at Michaels at 70% off- it was a really awesome special they ran. It cost a fortune still! I think it was around $200- definitely well over $100. Granted we double and triple matted them, and did the top notch glass and what not, but still.

It can't hurt to take it in to get a quote, but I wouldn't count on it being cheap. Any chance you can mat it yourself to make it fit into a standard frame?

JTsMom
07-28-2008, 09:48 AM
I should probably add that they did do a great job though.

Also, if this plan doesn't work for you, maybe you can scan it, and change the size so it would fit in a standard frame.

Mikey0709
07-28-2008, 09:49 AM
I think the pic is REALLY cool.... and i love that it is a family original!

In my own experience I had Michaels frame 1 print for me. It was a little larger - maybe 20x25 and with the 50% off coupon it still came to about $130. total. I didn't even pick out the most expensive frame or matting either! They did an excellent job, but i was hoping it would have been cheaper!

Another option is to just have them cut a MATTE to fit it into one of their ready frames they sell. I did this with another piece of artwork. It may have cost me $25 or so for them to have to cut a matte... but it then fit into a 18x24 frame they had on sale for $20 that i could just pop it into. You just have to give them the dimension of the inside cut, and the outside size....they can certainly give you an idea of how much this costs if you have the measurements... and it still takes about a week if it's a custom cut. This way was ALOT cheaper and just as nice. GOOD LUCK!

Twoboos
07-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Ohhh, good idea about cutting just the matte! I'm going to have to use this trick.

If you're confident in your measurements you can order your own frame/matte online. We've done a couple through www.pictureframes.com (I think). We haven't done it recently so I don't recall the pricing. But I do remember it seemed reasonable. (Except for the time DH special ordered a plain 'ole black 8x10 frame. Helllooooo, I could have gotten it at Target or the like for $5!!)

swrc00
07-28-2008, 01:57 PM
I know you said it was an odd size, but would something like this work.

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/zf806/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1|12|||1|||||||frame&cm_src=SCH

Target sells something similar.

o_mom
07-28-2008, 02:02 PM
They are pricey, but I have always been happy with the results. You should have a min of 50% for the coupon. Another option would be to have them custom cut just a mat. Make the outer dimensions a standard frame size and the inner to fit your picture.

randomkid
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Another option is to just have them cut a MATTE to fit it into one of their ready frames they sell. I did this with another piece of artwork. It may have cost me $25 or so for them to have to cut a matte... but it then fit into a 18x24 frame they had on sale for $20 that i could just pop it into. You just have to give them the dimension of the inside cut, and the outside size....they can certainly give you an idea of how much this costs if you have the measurements... and it still takes about a week if it's a custom cut. This way was ALOT cheaper and just as nice. GOOD LUCK!

This board rocks! I would have never thought of that. I will totally go for this option as I can use a 20x24 frame and have the mat cut to fit DD's painting which will be around 17.5x20. This will safe me a ton, I'm sure. Then, I have a standard size frame for use later on if I decide to take the painting down.

Thank you all for your suggestions!