PDA

View Full Version : American Girl Store in LA

kransden
07-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Is this worth going to? Anyone have any tips or suggestions?
TIA

niccig
07-28-2008, 03:25 PM
I've never been in the store as DS isn't into American Girl, but my husband works in a building nearby. It's based in the Grove shopping complex on Fairfax street, next to CBS studios. The Grove is an outdoor shopping mall with a farmer's market, many stores and restaurants. So, other things to do before/after or even during if some people don't want to visit the American Girl store.

ETA Bus tours of hollywood, celebrity homes etc, also leave from the Grove, if you're interested in that kind of thing.

StantonHyde
07-28-2008, 03:39 PM
My SIL took her 2 DDs and they LOVED it!! She bought some package with a tea and a fashion show. They were 5 & 7 at the time, I believe.

saschalicks
07-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I don't know if the store is worth it but the The Grove itself is. It's a wonderful outdoor mall connected to the historical Farmer's Market. We live 1/2 a mile away and love just taking the kids there to walk around.

karin4
07-28-2008, 04:44 PM
If you're going to be in the area, I think it's definitely worth a visit. We went about a month ago, and my daughter, who is just about the same age as yours, thought it was completely wonderful. She just had this delighted smile on her face the whole time, and still talks about it nearly every day. I thought it was nice too, and nowhere near as huge or overwhelming as I'd feared it might be.

My only tip would be to make reservations for a tea or lunch-- I really wish I had, and if your daughter and/or you turn out not to be all that into it, you can always just not use the reservation, but at least you'll have the option.

mdb78
07-28-2008, 05:15 PM
The Grove itself and the Farmer's Market is a nice place to visit. They also have a Janie and Jack store there too.. I've only been to the Grove on late Saturday afternoons- I know, not the best time.. Not sure how the parking is during the week, but if you are driving and go on the weekend (especially in the late afternoon/ early evening) just go straight to valet.

Tondi G
07-28-2008, 05:57 PM
we live within walking distance and the AG store is HUGE! Used to be a wonderful huge FAO toy store... we lived in that store when #1 was a baby/toddler! The Grove is a great place to visit too... trolley ride, Janie and Jack, Pottery Barn Kids, Barnes and Noble bookstore, fun dancing fountain with music! If you go on a Thursday they have their kids program on the grassy area near the fountain... check their calendar to see what they have planned!

http://www.thegrovela.com/

Here is a link to the Original Farmers Market too

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

The whole place is very busy on weekend so if you make it a mid week trip you'll probably be happier!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

Melanie
07-28-2008, 06:47 PM
For sure! It's a fun center to people watch, too. I'd avoid busier days, though. I actually really enjoy it in the lower-tourist season. Dd had the bitty baby section nearly to herself on a weekday once and all three salesgirls to fawn over her. She had a blast. ;) We've not done the tea or anything like that as it's very $$$ for a 2 year old. There are alos lots of other places to eat there. We like to eat at the Farmer's Market.

AddiesMom
07-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Haven't done LA but we just went to AG in NYC and we had a ball! Went on Sunday as soon as they opened to avoid the crowds, DD has Bitty department to herself. We booked the first seating for lunch and they did a great job, DD loved it and DH actually felt like he got his $$ worth.

If they have dolls and want to get their hair done, do it right away, there could be a long wait.

kransden
07-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks eveyone! We'll try for a Thursday and do lunch there too. I'll report back on how it went.

mdb78
07-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Oh and another thing, you may spot a celebrity or two over there. I never did, but some of my friends have.

Have fun! :)

niccig
07-29-2008, 06:06 PM
We were at the Grove today, and Courtney Cox was sitting in the booth opposite us at Woodranch Grill. Of course, I didn't notice, DH did. He loves her. We did meet her 5 years ago when she was in a movie a friend directed (small indy movie). So, DH asked me if I thought she would remember him. She would remember our friend the director, but DH, no chance. He wanted an excuse to say Hi, did I mention that he loves her.