PDA

View Full Version : Pulling up and down pants and underwear--when to expect that?

HIU8
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
DS is pee and poop trained during the day. At night he wears a pull up and sometimes it is wet and sometimes dry. He never poops in his pull up at night anymore. However, at what age should I expect DS to be pulling up and down his own underwear and pants? At what age should I expect him to be wiping himself? DS is 3 1/2 and always tells me he can't pull his pants and undies up and down. He will do it sometimes but usually not.

Clarity
07-28-2008, 02:59 PM
We worked with my dd on putting on and taking off her pants while she's dressing and undressing for the day. This made it less intertwined with the issue of potty training. But, now, as a bonus she can *usually* pull up and down her pants on her own when she pottys. If she has more snug clothing or underwear on, she does have trouble, and I help her. But when she has on her Hanes undies or comfy cotton shorts on she can do it heself. She's 25 months now.

BeachBum
07-28-2008, 05:15 PM
My son is will be 3 in a few months and has been operating his own undies and pants for a month or two. Sometimes he has trouble, but gets it for the most part.
I think many (most?) preschools want a 3 yr old to be able to operate their own clothes for bathroom use, I know mine does. So I don't think it is an unreasonable goal at this age.
I think that dressing yourself (sans buttons and zippers) is a 4 yr old milestone. (I think a PT posted that on another board I visit).
As for wiping, I encourage him to try then I check it and help if he is still dirty.

KrisM
07-30-2008, 08:33 PM
DS could do pants/underwear just over 3 years. He needed to for preschool. I did have to change the underwear type from briefs to boxer briefs. He kept pulling on the leg openings of the briefs and getting them all twisted. The boxer briefs are longer and easier for him to get right.

He mostly wipes himself now, at just over 4 years. I still check though.

JBaxter
07-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Nathan was doing it byt 2yr 10 months when he went to montessori preschool.

deannanb
08-01-2008, 04:17 PM
He can probably do it himself now, but he doesn't need to because you are doing it for him!

DS will be 4 in October - and I'm sure there are a bunch of activities he can do on his own, but I keep helping when he asks. I'm his mom - that's what I do!

I have found that out with my DS! His teacher at school said that he does it just fine while at school - but will walk out of the bathroom 1/2 naked or with his pants around his knees asking me for help - and you guessed it! I help him! =)

HIU8
08-01-2008, 04:54 PM
DS won't do it at school either. He always asks the teacher/camp counselor for help. I won't completely do it for him. I will pull the back if he does the front etc... He has a hard time handling the elastic band on his underpants I've noticed and he just gives up. I'm wondering if I need to get other underpants. He is wearing 4T or just size 4 boys from Target right now. I can't go bigger, these have room to grow. I'm wondering if a more expensive brand would have and easier to grip elastic band that DS could do better with.

KBecks
08-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Alek is about the same, I've been asking him to pull up his undies and shorts on his own, but he wants me to do it, and he'll try but gives up and gets frustrated. I'm concerned because his preschool wants him to be totally independent and I'm afraid he'll walk out of the restroom with his pants and undies down. That said, I'm planning to work on it with him gently at home and then see what happens. I think he will catch on quickly when he's with the older kids. I think his undies fit fine, although maybe larger ones would work better.... I think it's more of him learning to pull the front and back and sides all the way up and getting more practice.

I'm kind of worried and kind of not. I think he can do it, or could do it, but it's just a matter of practice and motivation.