PDA

View Full Version : Help! Diaper rash

MontrealMum
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM
We have been remarkably lucky in that DS has only had one case of severe diaper rash (at 2 mos) and one small fungal infection cured by Rx meds. Because he has very sensitive skin, we always clean him with a cloth and water, and usually just use tons of baby power (which is actually corn starch nowadays). For emerging red spots I use adult Aveeno, Burt's Bees, or CA baby calendula, but usually powder and water clear things up for us. I never use a zinc ointment, because when he had his horrible diaper rash at 2 mos. DH got very overenthusiastic with the application and made it worse :(

So, here's the problem, the daycare has to follow strict governmental rules about what they can and can't use on babies, even if the parents supply it. They are not allowed to use powder, or a non-zinc oxide lotion. DS began developing a severe rash Friday, it's very red and he screams when we change him (poor baby) and he came home from daycare reeking of zinc today.

What can I give them at the daycare to use that has zinc in it that will work? They're using the Desitin that caused our problems the last time around. I did a search here and saw some recs for Sudocrem and Calmoseptine. Any other recs? I can't check the CA baby or Burt's Bees ingredients because they're in DS' room and he's sleeping. I sent 7th Generation wipes, and we're going to test-drive some 7th Generation diapers when we go to the States next week (they need disposables at daycare) - and I hope that will help too. But I don't think that my water-powder combo at home is going to make up for all the zinc at the daycare. It seems that once the rash is started the zinc holds the water in, as well the urine/feces out, so that the skin doesn't breathe and heal.

I'd let him run around naked but he's walking and I worry about setting a little fountain loose in the house. We did that last time, but he wasn't mobile at that point. Any ideas about how to contain pee while baring his bottom? I just don't know what to do, and he's in a lot of pain :(

ThreeofUs
07-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Molly, I hope someone has great advice for you on products. My best advice would be to take him out of day care for a few days and care for the rash at home.

CA Baby and Burt's Bees both have diaper rash cremes with zinc, I think. I'd go to their web sites and check them out.

Best of luck to your little guy! I'm so sorry this is happening to him!

vludmilla
07-28-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry that you're dealing with this. DD had a very severe diaper rash for weeks and weeks. It was truly awful. We had her bare butt for hours at a time just trying to improve it. I can tell you that I tried many products in the that time, the absolute best, hands down, was Aquaphor. Unfortunately, Aquaphor does not have zinc in it but you can use it at home and I find it improves her diaper rash in less than one day. As for zinc-based products, I like Triple Paste but it is not nearly as effective as Aquaphor which seems to work "miracles" on her rashes.
Good lucj and hope it resolves quickly!

cvanbrunt
07-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Triple Paste works beautifully for us. Maybe that for daycare and Aquaphor at home?

tnrnchick74
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Maybe he has a sensitivity or allergic reaction to the zinc oxide? Could you discuss with your pediatrician and maybe have him/her write a note stating that you CANNOT use zinc oxide products? I would think that with a note from an MD, the daycare would be forced to use another product (such as Aquaphor that you provide). I hope you find a solution!

Have you tried plain old petroleum jelly or A&D ointment? It forms a barrier that helps to protect the skin from the harshness of the urine/stool. The downside is you need to use it every diaper change...not just when a rash is present.

o_mom
07-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Desitin caused a burning rash on DS1, so we never use it. We have had good luck with Balmex.

I think the key with any ZO cream is to make sure they are completely dry before putting it on. Whenever we get bad rashes, I use water to wipe with and then air dry. You can either 'fan' them with the clean diaper until the skin is completely dry or use a hair dryer on cool. I think you need to give them strict instructions to make sure he is completely dry before putting any cream on at all.

bubbaray
07-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I would get a note from your dr that your DS is allergic to zinc oxide, have the note say what he can use. Give that to them and give them a tub of what he can use.

FWIW, I've never found triple paste, butt cream, or balmex in Canada. ETA nor A&D.

I've had good luck with Gerber diaper cream (blue tube) and Sudocream (grey jar). I've not found either in the US.

When the girls have had really nasty diaper rashes, Aquaphor seems to work the best -- but again, its not sold in Canada.

Good luck!

HIU8
07-29-2008, 02:05 PM
DD has extremely sensitive skin and get horrid diaper rashes regularly and gets yeast/fungal infections every time she cuts a tooth. OTC products just do not work on her, except for aquafor--and I have to use it in conjunction with something else. That something else is PINXAV (pronounced "pink salve"). We use this at every single diaper change. It does contain zinc oxide, so if your DS has a sensitivity to it, I would not suggest using it. However, if not, it is great! It also contains aloe vera gel, clove leaf oil, vitamin E and petrolatum. I order this from shopinprivate.com.

When DD gets the yeast/fungal infections, the only thing that cures it is Vusion, which has to be prescribed by your doctor and does not have a generic form yet (so it is about $250 a tube, but so well worth it).

HTH

WatchingThemGrow
07-29-2008, 02:17 PM
We use Dr. Smith's Diaper Ointment that you have the pharmacy order for regular stuff.

They do make this a rash treatment, that I would be ALL OVER if I needed a step up. My friend's ped told her to use it on her DC when nothing else was working. Zinc is one of the ingredients.
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Smiths-Rash-n-All-Ointment-3-Ounce/dp/B000FKHVAW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1217355240&sr=8-2

alirebco
07-29-2008, 08:08 PM
In terms of a zinc oxide cream, I have found that Weleda's diaper cream is great and it doesn't have too high of a percentage of zo.

He definitely needs lots of naked time. Also, try putting him outside on a blanket in the sun. Are you sure it isn't a yeast rash? The zinc oxide shouldn't be making a regular diaper rash worse unless he does in fact have a sensitivity to it. You can also try oatmeal baths.