PDA

View Full Version : What to do when permanent at-home hair color comes out darker than I wanted?

JustMe
07-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Any thing I can do? It is not awful, but it is a lot darker than I wanted....I used Wella's Color Charm if that makes any difference.

thanks!

ThreeofUs
07-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Call it your new look and wait for a few weeks to get high- and/or low-lights.

One thing you don't want to do - and this is talking from bbbaaadddd experience - is listen to their help line advice and try to re-dye your hair in a blond range. Turns you hair a tortoise-shell mix of colors, like a cat, and the only thing to do is go for an Audrey Hepburn "Italian Boy Cut".... ;)

MontrealMum
07-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Yes, wait until your hair recovers a bit and get highlights. There is a process that will remove hair dye by stripping it, you can buy kits to do it at home (super-risky, I'd think) or get it done in a salon, but I have a friend that had it done at a reputable salon and her hair was like straw afterwards and she lost a lot of length too. I'd stay away from it.

Puddy73
07-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Try washing your hair with a strong clarifying shampoo or even dishwashing liquid - it will strip away some of the color.

JTsMom
07-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Try washing your hair with a strong clarifying shampoo or even dishwashing liquid - it will strip away some of the color.:yeahthat:

tnrnchick74
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Try washing your hair with a strong clarifying shampoo or even dishwashing liquid - it will strip away some of the color.

Yep! That's what I usually do if I go too dark. I have found that PERT works well...pretty much any "cheap" but not gentle shampoo works to strip color. And do it sooner rather than later!

JustMe
07-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Oh great ideas! I will try dishwasing liquid or PERT. Right now the only dishwashing liquid I have is something from Trader Joes that seems pretty gentle, so I will try to buy something tomorrow!

clc053103
07-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Prell shampoo if you can find it is also suppossed to work to strip some of the color a little lighter.