PDA

View Full Version : First Family Camping Trip

StantonHyde
07-28-2008, 10:09 PM
So we finally did it!!! The first family camping trip. We are lucky because there are great campgrounds just up the canyons and the wild flowers are at their peak--so it made a great, short trip. DH and I got the tent up, the kids had a blast bouncing on the air mattresses, there were ground squirrels for the kids to watch, and they loved roasting marshmallows (even more than the actual smores--weird--they must take after their father on that one :bouncy: ) We only stayed for one night and we will do another trip in 2 weeks. But the kids liked it and want to do it again. Wah hooo--next year we can do weekends and in 10 years, I should have some good backpackers :boogie:

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll467/ShaneHyde/DSC00084.jpg

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll467/ShaneHyde/DSC00090.jpg

geochick
07-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Congrats! We're headed out next weekend (up Big Cottonwood Cnyn since you're a fellow SLC gal). We took our kids last year for 2 nights (when they were 3 and 1). Nighttime was hard for my 1yo - I'm hoping it will be better now that she's 2...we're trying 3 nights this time.

I understand your accomplishment. Good work!

KBecks
07-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Congratulations! We did "backyard camping" this last weekend but with mixed results. The boys loved the tent and it was beautiful weather, but Alek was still up at 10:30 p.m. (with me, Dad and John were asleep) and started yelling that he wanted to sleep in his bed so Dad decided and we all went inside.

I haven't cancelled our campground reservation yet but we think this may not be the year for us.

I'm so glad your family had a good time!

StantonHyde
07-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes, we did have some fear issues with DD. She wanted to get in the car to go home and said that at least 4 different times (especially during the thunder storm--but I don't blame her for that one!). DS said it once or twice--DH and I just calmly said we were staying and that they would be fine. DD eventually went to sleep. DS was up till 11 with me--but he is always up late.

It helps to keep the routine as normal as possible--I forgot to get DDs musicbox out of the truck--she always plays it to go to sleep. And I slept next to them on the air mattresses so that helped too. (I could fit 3 air mattresses in a row in one room of the tent, so DH got to sleep on the other side.)

I think it was easier because there really was no way out--and you can do anything for one night!

StantonHyde
07-29-2008, 04:52 PM
GeoChick--I just PMd you.