PDA

View Full Version : Crib or Co-Sleeper/Bassinet at first??

Eve
07-29-2008, 12:44 PM
I am going to be a first time parent come October. I am planning on breastfeeding. Our nursery is attached to our room by a door. I had planned on sleeping the baby in the crib in the nursery right away since we were so close (and using a monitor). But people have been telling me, since I am breastfeeding, I need a co-sleeper or bassinet right next to my bed. Any thoughts?

Christyscmh
07-30-2008, 09:16 PM
It's pretty much a matter of personal preference. The bassinet and/or co-sleeper is mainly for convenience for you getting up in the middle of the night for frequent feedings. I typically recommend a pack n play for those who are looking for bassinets mainly because they have a bassinet as well as a changing table and then you can continue using them for the playpen part as well where as a bassinet can only be used for a few months and that's it. I just think the pack n play is more cost effective. With your nursery literally conjoined with your bedroom, you may want to reconsider the bassinet but have the pack n play early in case you change your mind.

ray7694
07-30-2008, 09:22 PM
I used a bassinet in the beginning and highly recommend it for conveinence. I liked that it was small and easily moveable to different parts of the house for naps etc.

I would borrow one or get a used one if possible.

QTMichele
07-30-2008, 09:48 PM
I highly recommend keeping your baby close to you if you'll be b/f. The "device" you use is a personal choice. I used a cradle (it's larger than a bassinet) and was able to use it for 3 months or so. The convenience was wonderful. Good luck to you. :)

Eve
07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I am getting a Pack n' Play for another part of the house but i may just try it out in the room with us.