PDA

View Full Version : Glider Rocker or Rocker Recliner?

ali22
07-29-2008, 01:08 PM
I am not sure what is best for the nursery. I want something comfortable to rock her to sleep and to nurse. I also want something that my husband will be comfortable in once he starts some feedings. The gliders just seems to be sooo expensive. I want quality but can't imagine paying $700+.

Can anyone weigh in on the differences between the two. Which is better, any brand suggestions.

Thanks,
Ali

mommyp
07-30-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't know about the rocker recliner, we didn't look at those. But we have a glider rocker made by Best Chair:

http://www.bestchairs.com/bcpublic/productLine.do?product=JU&style=&forward=Storytime

We got it at USA Baby and we have been really happy with it. I use it all the time for nursing at bedtime/naptime and DH also finds it comfortable when he does bottles. We also got the gliding ottoman and padded armrests, both totally worth it IMO.

elliput
07-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Since I knew I would want to do most of my nursing in the living room, I chose a rocker/recliner (La-Z-Boy), as I did not want to feel like I was trapped in the nursery. IIRC, the chair was less than $500. I later found a used wooden rocking chair with chair pads for $50 which I put nursery.

erosenst
07-31-2008, 02:28 AM
We have a Dutalier glider and gliding ottoman which I loved, and still like. In hindsight, wish I had gotten the recliner for the middle of the night nursing sessions, and the few times she's been up sick...

Emily
Abby 4.5

WatchingThemGrow
07-31-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly, but our Dutailier glider also reclines and locks. It has an ottoman also with a slide out nursing stool. DH chose it because it was comfortable with him and he's the bedtime routine person years beyond nursing days. It is SOOOO comfortable that my dad wants to go take a nap in it when he visits the grandchildren. I can try to find the model number if you want so you can get a price quote.

nfceagles
07-31-2008, 02:48 PM
I have been so glad I got a recliner (think big puffy bachelor chair) instead of a glider. It's so comfortable and reclines to almost flat. When DS has been sick and I've had to hold him all night I was so glad I had something that comfortable to sleep in. No regrets here.

ali22
07-31-2008, 04:17 PM
That would be wonderful if you could get the model. Sorry if the question was confusing. I have seen some that get the Lazy Boy style rocker recliners and then others that get the glider rockers. I wasn't sure if there was a big advantage of one over the other. Thanks for the input.

theCAS
07-31-2008, 04:23 PM
I second the Best Chair, ours is a rocker upholstered chair with a matching ottoman that also rocks. Baby has not arrived yet so I can't speak to its comfort with feedings but I'm very comfy in it now and will sit and rock in it if I'm having a hard time sleeping. :)

We paid $450-475 at Nebraksa Furniture Mart in Kansas City.

barabashova
07-31-2008, 04:37 PM
I just received (literally--yesterday!) a Dutailier reclining glider from BRU. I absolutely love it. My husband complained about the price, but once he saw it for the first time and sat in it last night, he didn't want to leave! We're both tall (I'm 5'11" and he's 6'0") and the most important thing for me was that the back be tall enough for us to rest our heads. This particular model is extra large--so it's both tall and a little wider. I special ordered the microfiber cushions and they are so comfortable. I'm looking forward to DS's arrival so I can cuddle him in it! I also purchased the matching ottoman. Yes, it was a little pricey, but I plan on using it a lot, and once it's no longer needed in the nursery, I think it will look fine in the living room (you can change the cushioning). You can look the model numbers up on BRU website...358714 for the glider and 354638 for the ottoman. Also, as much bad press as BRU gets, the glider / ottoman arrived 4 weeks earlier than promised, with absolutely no problems.

ThreeofUs
07-31-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly, but our Dutailier glider also reclines and locks. It has an ottoman also with a slide out nursing stool. DH chose it because it was comfortable with him and he's the bedtime routine person years beyond nursing days. It is SOOOO comfortable that my dad wants to go take a nap in it when he visits the grandchildren. I can try to find the model number if you want so you can get a price quote.

So, I have a few questions about this, if anyone can answer:

Does your glider rock while reclining, or is it locked then? Also, how much of a plus is a nursing stool?

I am assuming the mechanics of nursing mean that you're stationary while nursing - is this true?

hez
07-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Does your glider rock while reclining, or is it locked then? Also, how much of a plus is a nursing stool?
Yes, it can rock while reclining. This is important to know, in case your 4-going-on-5 yo reclines it and then rocks it into the wall (gently, thank heavens).
I love the nursing stool/gliding ottoman. I especially loved it when I had edema post-partum and wanted my feet up all the time. It gives me options for getting comfortable while we're nursing.

I am assuming the mechanics of nursing mean that you're stationary while nursing - is this true?
I started off with everything upright & stationary while nursing. Now I rock/glide about half the time while nursing because we both seem to enjoy it.

ThreeofUs
07-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks so much! This is very helpful.

mburtis
07-31-2008, 09:46 PM
I *highly* recommend scouting out craigslist for this, particularly if you live in a fairly major city/metro area.

I wanted something for my new baby's nursery, but couldn't bring myself to spend the money to buy a really top of the line glider for upwards of $500. Particuarly, since I don't think it's the kind of furniture that would fit into my house anywhere else once the baby was older.

I scoured CL for close to a month, but last weekend found a top-of-the-line Dutalier upholstered glider and ottoman that would retail for around $900 for $50.

It was a little stained, but the one I got has removable slipcovers, and I was able to wash them on the gentle cycle with a little Woolite and OxyClean. It looks pretty great now.

In any case, there were LOTS of gliders that came up for sale while I was looking -- I just had to patient until I found the one I liked the best.

As for features, one of the reasons I waited was b/c I wanted one with all of the features -- it rocks, reclines, glides, and locks in place.

It may take a bit of patience, but Craigslist ROCKS!

WatchingThemGrow
07-31-2008, 10:53 PM
That would be wonderful if you could get the model. Sorry if the question was confusing. I have seen some that get the Lazy Boy style rocker recliners and then others that get the glider rockers. I wasn't sure if there was a big advantage of one over the other. Thanks for the input.

DUTAILIER/EG KIDS 914-120-15-4043 MULTI-POSITION/RECLINE
************************************************** *****************************
1 DUTAILIER/EG KIDS 901-196-15-4043 VINYL NURSING OTTOMAN

Here are the model numbers as promised. I believe the first 3 tell the style, not sure about the second set, but the next two are the color of the wood (black) and the color of the microfiber cushions (deep red).

It does glide while it is reclined, unless you choose to lock it. I ordered it from a Furnitureland South along with all my other nursery stuff, so delivery was not very much, and the price was like 40% off retail.

The nursing stool was valuable to me to get us propped up right from the very beginning. It seemed like a luxury that just made me a little more comfortable during an uncomfy time. You could get away without it, but I liked it. When you pull the nursing stool out, the ottoman stops gliding.

One thing about the upholstered ones, be sure to sit in them. Some of the models I tried out didn't support my head, and that became really important when I only slept 1.5 hours at a time for a loooong time. Our DC were super-slow gainers and nursers, so the first months were tiring.

zag95
07-31-2008, 10:55 PM
I recommend using a recliner- we already had one in the living room that was put to good use-

You can comfortably sleep or doze in it with your little bambino
Ours is leather, which is easier to clean any formula or milk off of.

Our recliner also rocks- so we have the best of both worlds!

Things to consider: How long you plan on using it, how much you have to spend, if you have room in your nursery, how you can clean your rocker/recliner. We had room in the nursery, but I didn't want to always be in there! So I opted to use our existing recliner.

Good luck on your decision!

elizstock
11-21-2008, 04:23 PM
I think we have decided to buy a new recliner and get a used glider for the nursery. Can people recommend the recliners they've enjoyed? We've looked at some in the stores, but it's hard to know which would be good for use with little ones.

Thanks!

irie i
11-21-2008, 04:47 PM
I think we have decided to buy a new recliner and get a used glider for the nursery. Can people recommend the recliners they've enjoyed? We've looked at some in the stores, but it's hard to know which would be good for use with little ones.

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of gliders over recliners...but I did see and sit in one at Pottery Barn Kids that I loved. It's super comfy. Here's the problem: it's very low to the ground. It was hard for me...I was about 4 months pregnant then...to get out of it. The saleslady totally talked me out of it when she told me to put my arms together in front of me as though I was holding my sleeping baby. It would have been damn near impossible to get out of that thing comfortably without smashing my baby between my legs and chest! lol. I really appreciated her telling me to try that...with every other chair I looked at I kept that in mind and did the "baby smash test." lol. Their sleigh glider is amazing but it's over $1000...so I am going with one from either Target or Babies R Us.

So...I would say...when you test out recliners...definitely do the "baby smash test!!"