PDA

View Full Version : Would you trust 3 year old to walk through busy airport?

lmwbasye
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm traveling alone. Traveling through Newark, Cleveland, and Des Moines. I'm planning to push DS2 in his infant seat in the stroller. I originally thought DS1 could sit in his Marathon in the Gogokidz. Now, I'm thinking that I don't want to worry about removing the seat from Gogokidz at the gate and possibly security. Maybe I should buy a Scenera and just have DS1 walk.

Can't decide if this is safe. Any thoughts?

Laura :)

Liam 10/04
George 10/07

HIU8
07-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm letting DS walk through the airport next week. DD will be in her carseat in the stroller. DS basically walks everywhere and I have DD in a stroller. I don't really have any other way to do it and I wasn't planning on having any more paraphenalia to haul around as it is just me and 2 kids. DS is a good listener and I think it will be no problem. OTOH, my friends DS is a runner and I would not trust him unless another adult was with me.

1964pandora
07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
My 3-year-old can easily walk through an airport with me. I just have him hold onto the stroller as we walk. Occasionally he runs ahead, but he always looks back at me and comes back. I've seen many people use toddler harnesses at the airport. I'm all for using one of those if you think your child might run away from you or you think you might get too distracted. You can buy a teddy bear backpack harness at Target for about $10.

Susan

WatchingThemGrow
07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Personally, I would just wear the baby and push the other in the stroller.

mecawa
07-29-2008, 02:33 PM
I think it depends on the child. My DD is 4 and I would let her walk through the airport holding my hand/stroller. Now, we picked up my friend and her son once at the airport and he was 3 or 4 at the time and probably should have been in a stroller because he was a runner/wanderer and would not stay with us at all. Luckily my husband was with us and able to carry him through for her. So it all depends on the personality of the child.

mikeys_mom
07-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I've travelled alone a few times and have let DS walk since he was around 3. He is normally the type of child that will run off without looking back. However, before a trip we always have a serious talk about the airport rules. He knows that he must hold the side of the stroller. I always remind him that there are lots of interesting things to see in the airport and if he wants to go closer to something that he has to tell me and we will all walk there together. Of course, I can't take him everywhere he wants or we will miss our flight, but try to do as much as we can. Also, I always tell him that if he listens nicely, when we get to the gate, he can stand by the window and watch the planes. That is usually enough of an incentive to have him hold onto the stroller.

LarsMal
07-29-2008, 04:18 PM
We just did this over the weekend. I took the Pliko for DD (19mos) and let DS (almost 3) walk. Of course I ended up using the stroller as a bag holder while both of them walked! DH was with us, but I'm sure it would've been fine even if I had been alone. DS stayed very close, we kept to the side, and just walked slowly. Give yourself plenty of time!

Wearing DS2 is a good idea, but then you'll have to carry the infant seat (unless you check it) while also pushing DS1 in the stroller. That could get rather tricky!

Good luck!

ThreeofUs
07-29-2008, 04:44 PM
My DS would be so freaked out by all the people and noise that he'd be clinging to me and asking to be carried. I would definitely let him walk - but I don't think he'd let me!

Have a great trip!

s7714
07-29-2008, 06:37 PM
I think it totally depends on the child.

My 3 year old? No way. She's a runner and has no qualms about not being able to see/hear me. She'd probably be on a leash if I was traveling by myself and I knew I'd only have one hand free.

My older DD OTOH would have been fine at 3 yrs old walking through an airport. She was always a little more reserved in crowded places and didn't run off in them like her younger sister does.

MommyAllison
07-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I would let my DD walk - she is really good about holding my hand, or even just walking next to me without holding hands. I would probably put her monkey harness on her though - more so that if I wasn't holding her hand, I wouldn't worry as much about somebody grabbing her. Maybe that is just my paranoid mama coming out though!

jawilli4
07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
I've traveled a couple of times alone with 3 year old DS and 1 year old DD and it really wasn't that bad. Other passengers and even most TSA agents are helpful and nice. The first time Continental let my mother have a pass to get me through security and to the gate. When I boarded another passenger helped me secure my carseats while I held DD. The second time I had to go through security by myself, although a really helpful TSA agent helped me as much as she could. As soon as I got through security another agent flagged down a cart for us to ride to the gate. I was planning to push DD in a stroller and have DS walk beside us, but man was I happy when I sat down for our ride to the gate. I forgot how much I tipped the cart driver, but I think it was around $10 and it was the best money I've ever spent. Through these boards, I've also heard of people arranging skycaps to help through security and to the gate but that wasn't available at my departing airport. When I got to my destination, one of the flight attendants even called ahead to have a skycap meet us once we deboarded the plane. If I were you, I'd check into the help you might be able to access and have a fall back plan if nothing materializes.

Good luck,
Jan

maestramommy
07-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Don't do it unless 1) your kid is very good about holding your hand and staying with you on command, or 2) you have a harness with a leash. With so many people coming and going, and you alone with two kids, it could be very easy for a short person to just disappear in the crowd if you are momentarily distracted.

C99
07-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Yes. I took all 3 kids with me from Chicago to Houston in March and the older 2 both walked.

lizajane
07-29-2008, 10:33 PM
bwah ha ha ha ha!!!! NO-WAY-IN-H*LL!!! NOT FOR A MILLION DOLLARS!!! NOT FOR ALL THE TEA IN CHINA!!! i might as well just offer him up for sale on ebay if i was gonna do that!

um, no. did i mention that already? i would n-e-v-e-r let either of my kids walk through the airport. i think my oldest would have to be older than TEN and even then i might make him ride the TSA thingy that helps the elderly, injured and parents travelling solo with little kids. schuyler is hyperactive and has no impulse control. he is not wired to follow directions, even in dangerous situations. dylan HIDES and could dash off in a SECOND.

i am jealous of all of you who could comfortably walk through the airport with a three year old who was not attached to them. that just isn't my kid. mine would BOTH be tied to me with a string/"leash."