PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a PDA/iTouch or Blackberryish thing?

WatchingThemGrow
07-29-2008, 08:36 PM
SAHM here wondering if others feel that having one helps you be more organized.

I'd love to have a better handle on meal-planning, grocery shopping, calendar issues, contact info, etc. We currently have Sprint as our cell (and only) phone service, and my mom just got her new Palm Centro to call me for free, so I'm not really into changing carriers. I also would rather not set myself up to add another $40+/mo. to our contract. DH wants internet access at random places, but we don't need to connect at any given point.

BUT, I do feel like something new would be useful. A friend showed me her FLYLady Control Journal today, and I'm thinking the idea is useful, but the bulk of it is unappealing to me. With a tiny little thing to read/check off, I feel like I'd get less-sidetracked.

What do you think would be the right device for me? Oh, my fingers are clumsy, so ease of use is very important. It needs to be semi-shock resistant too :) I drop my stuff often.

khm
07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Sprint has a larger Palm called the Treo. It isn't huge, but enough larger than the Centro that it would help clumsy fingers. ;)

My husband has a Treo. Palm's operating system and programs are INSANELY easy to use and understand. I'm his "tech support" so I've played with it quite a bit in getting it up and running, etc.

I have an HTC Mogul, which is a Windows-based PDA phone. It is also very easy to use and figure out (especially if you're using a PC).

The Mogul has a larger screen, but doesn't have a keyboard unless you slide it open. When closed, it has just send, end and a few other function buttons. Lots of touch-screen, which can take some getting used to. The Treo has a keyboard on it's face.

His Treo did have a problem with our corporate email, something security related. He can use his email, but goes through a 3rd party deal. My Mogul was fine (same work email). He would have been able to use his home email though.

Both have excellent calendars, tasks, contacts, etc.

Really can't go wrong either way!

He had a Blackberry in the past and liked it just fine, but went this route b/c the pricing plans were cheaper and less confusing for the non-Blackberry units with sprint.

cdlamis
07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I cannot imagine life without my Treo! I use it only for the calendar and to do lists and it is still worth every penny. I love that its all in one- my phone and calendar which makes me look at my calendar at least a few times/day.
I have seen calendar features on other phones and the only other one the comes close is the Iphone.

Good luck!

Zansu
07-30-2008, 12:19 AM
I've been a Treo user forever, and a Palm user before that. As a PP said, the Palm OS is VERY easy to use and there are a ton of applications you can download if you don't like the standard apps.

I love love love the calendar and contacts. I upgraded to a better version of the calendar, but the standard one is still very good.

The Treo comes in Palm OS and Windows Mobile versions. It has a touch screen and a keyboard. You can access email when you want (pull) or have it set up to send you email every time something hits your inbox (push).

You can access the web when you want, and just pay for the amount of KBs downloaded.

DH and I text/SMS a lot now b/c it's so easy on the Treo.

In a nutshell, the Palm has the best calendar/contacts and telephone features, BB is best for email, and iPhone is best for web/media

WatchingThemGrow
07-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Great ideas for me to check out so far. I actually do have an old Palm Zire71 from grad school - you know, the blue one with the camera - sitting in the laundry room, but I haven't used it since then. The on/off button was a problem, so it would turn itself on then run out of batteries from time to time.

If it is of any help, I use Google Calendar and Google Docs quite a bit, so they would would need to sync with it. We have our shopping lists (and so much more) on Docs, and DH can add his shaving cream, contact solution, peanut butter, whenever he needs them.

He's totally convinced he needs a new iPod Touch, even though his parents gave him one for his birthday and he returned it. I'm excited to go play with all these options.

deannanb
07-30-2008, 06:46 AM
my parents and brother have treos - and use it all of the time (sprint)

DH has the iPhone and LOVES is - but if it isn't time to change carriers - then it isn't worth it now for you - and there is another charge like you said.

I think if you are in the need for a new phone, the treo is for you.

I have the iTouch - no phone, no speaker (need to use headphone to listen to music or watch movies - it stinks) - so far, I have used it a handful of times to watch movies when I have been up nursing DS in the middle of the night.

I haven't taken the time to see if there are other features I might acutally use.

melissaflorida
07-30-2008, 07:05 AM
I have a Blackberry and have no idea how I functioned without it!! Love it and I find it very easy to use. I used to take my lap top with me on vacation and now I don't need too. Everything I need is right on my phone.

Good luck.

~Melissa