PDA

View Full Version : Is 4 months too young for an all-purpose stroller?

wellyes
07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
This is probably a dumb question.

Right now we have a Snap-and-Go for the car trunk and an UppaBaby Vista for around the neighborhood - both very good for newborns/little babies. But I'm not wild about either one. The Snap-and-Go is just shoddy and the UppaBaby is a pain, heavy and unweildy.

I'm ready to move on, but I know at 4 months DD is too young for an "umbrella" type stroller - has to wait until she's sitting up (6 months or so). But I'm not exactly sure what constitutes an umbrella stroller. Are the three-wheelers like the MBUS and Baby Joggers that everyone keeps talking umbrellas? Sorry, I'm really clueless here.

And if she IS old enough, my secondary question is: is a Baby Jogger Mini a "good enough" everyday mall/trunk stroller? Or is it worth it to spring for the City Classic? I think in the end I'll sell my UppaBaby, but honestly I don't do much off-roading.

WatchingThemGrow
07-29-2008, 09:45 PM
We started using our Mac Triumph with DC around 3-4 mos. but only in the reclined position. We also have a City Elite(similar to the Classic, not the Mini, really) and that is good from birth. It has nice big air tires. I have the double, as my only double. We do walk outside a bit, so air tires are important to me. The City strollers are not umbrella fold. They fold differently. see www.babyjogger.com to see how they fold so effortlessly.

Celsior
07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
I recall when my brother was young he might have had one of the first mainstream umbrella strollers out there. Think of a curved handle on a traditional umbrella. It's that type of handle you'll find on umbrella strollers, like the Maclarens for example. These strollers tend to be lightweight (8-14 lbs. or so), and fold inward so they appear long and thin when folded.

I'm no doctor, but I think you're right when they say 6 months. Here's a suggestion. When your DD reaches 6-9 months, get a lightweight umbrella stroller for travel, quick errands, and indoor mall use. By that time, she'll be ready for the Vista. Leave that one for DH, and for trips to the zoo, trails, or around the neighborhood. I know the Baby Jogger City strollers have a lot of fans here, but you already have a nice all-terrain stroller in the Vista that I'm sure DH would prefer to keep. As for you, I sense you'd prefer something lighter and less bulky. Good luck with your decision!

lorinick
07-29-2008, 10:38 PM
I have the Mac Quest. Which can be used at 3mts. It has a nice recline and a foot extend bar for babies feet. It is nice steering and folds very slim. I love the stroller.

HIU8
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I think you are talking about two different types of strollers. An All Terrain stroller has 3 wheels in which the front wheel swivels or can lock if you want it. It has air tires and can be used in parks, on streets, on paths etc... An umbrella stroller is one that folds up like an umbrella. They are lightweight and have somewhat smaller canopies. They also have small rubber or plastic tires. The Maclaren Quest is an umbrella stroller that has a recline and a leg extension for children who like to sleep in the stroller. The baskets on most true umbrella strollers are quite small though. For a baby as young as yours you really do need a stroller that reclines. There are also strollers that have an umbrella fold that are a bit more of a stroller--ie P3, Zippy (my P3 weighs 17 lbs and my Mac Quest weighs 13 lbs.). These strollers recline, have trays or bumper bars and have nice baskets.

Personally, I have a P3 that lives in my car. My husband has a Mac Quest in the trunk of his car and we have a single and double AT that live in our garage. We use all of them. Plus, we even have a cheap $10 umbrella stroller (no basket, no canopy, no recline) that we have used in the past.

HTH

bubbaray
07-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Some umbrella fold strollers, like the Mac Techno, are fine for a newborn. Others, you should wait until they are older (depends upon the depth of the recline).

I don't know of any true umbrella fold strollers that are all-terrain, with air tires.

Personally, I love my MBUS for newborn and up. I also really love my P3. I have many other strollers, but those definitely get the most use.