PDA

View Full Version : Umbilical cord stump question...

sarahsthreads
07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
OK, so the actual stump part fell off around day 5 or 6, but it was replaced by a pretty hefty scab on DD2's belly button. Today, the pediatrician suggested getting the scab wet and gently pulling it away from the edges of DD2's belly button because air can't reach inside to dry things up in there. For some reason the idea of poking and prodding at that scab really scares me...

So did anyone else's DC have this problem? And is there something less...painful sounding I can do instead? For example, if I give her a "real" bath instead of wiping her down with a washcloth will that loosen things up or make things worse?

Sarah :)

tnrnchick74
07-30-2008, 04:32 AM
You should NOT be scared - the umbilical cord & belly button do not have nerve endings, so there isn't any pain.

I'm not sure I would give her a tub bath yet...just use a washcloth and get that area wet to loosen it. Make sure to put some alcohol down in there as well to keep it drying.

DrSally
07-30-2008, 10:50 PM
I too noticed that DD's stump fell away and it was still kinda oozy by the opening. It turned into a scab, which I gently peeled away with a tweezer. I did this b/c DS had pieces of scab lodged in his belly button months after that I had to fish out.

KrisM
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
You should NOT be scared - the umbilical cord & belly button do not have nerve endings, so there isn't any pain.

I'm not sure I would give her a tub bath yet...just use a washcloth and get that area wet to loosen it. Make sure to put some alcohol down in there as well to keep it drying.

Huh - didn't know that. When does a belly button get nerve endings? I just assumed they were always there.

DS has a bit of a scab, too. Our ped. said to just leave it and it'll work itself loose. We do wipe him off with a cloth some times, but no baths yet.

sarahsthreads
07-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks, all. Just doing what the ped suggested 3 times in the past couple of days (I made DH do it, though!) caused the bulk of the scab to fall off already. In fact, the only bit left seems to be on the *outside* of her belly button, so probably one good wipedown will get off the rest.

Yay for cute baby belly buttons!

Sarah :)