PDA

View Full Version : OT - Credit Reports

lovin2shop
07-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know which site it is that gives you your credit report for free once a year? If I remember correctly, the site call freecreditreport.com is not really free. I got a notice awhile back that my credit card info had been breached and was given free monitoring for a year which has now expired.

overcome
07-29-2008, 11:03 PM
hey! Great minds think alike...I just posted something similar
Here's the site
http://www.annualcreditreport.com/

lovin2shop
07-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Hey,
That's funny, guess I should refresh before posting. Thanks for the link!

SnuggleBuggles
07-30-2008, 08:30 AM
I have a q. A few years ago I printed up the form from the legit site (I verified and reverified before using it), filled out the forms and mailed them myself. I didn't want to transmit my SSN electronically. However, I never heard back from the co.. I put it directly in a blue mailbox on the street corner and waited quite a while for a reply. When I called to follow up they said they never go it. So, I have this paranoia that it ended up somewhere even worse than if I had sent it electronically. I haven't sent for it again (big mistake, I know).

I think if I do it again I will send it certified. But, it seems like others might not be as worried about doing the form online. Is it irrational of me not to do it online? That's my q. :)

Beth

overcome
07-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Since you mailed that, have you done anything that would require a credit check (i.e. car loan, refinance your house, etc)? If so, and there was no problem with being approved chances are nothing happened to your info. You probably would have known by now if someone stole your identity/credit.

"They" say that submitting sensitive info electronically is actually safer than mailing b/c no human ever sees the ## (credit card, social security) whereas someone can steal an envelope that you've mailed or the person opening your info has access to it.

Do it online.

PS You will have to pay a small amount to get your actual credit score but the report with a list of your credit history is free once a year at the above site.