PDA

View Full Version : So have you used cast iron on your ceramic cooktop?

Karenn
07-30-2008, 12:53 AM
This was touched on in another pan thread, but I wanted to hear from more people. I've read so many conflicting things on this! I don't really care if the pan leaves a few black marks on the stove or scratches it a bit. My stove is already far from pristine, but I don't want the whole top to break, and I've read that can happen. Other people say you can use cast iron on a ceramic cooktop if you're careful. I've read enough "expert" opinions. I want to hear what real people on the BBB have to say! :) Have you done it? Would you do it?

kijip
07-30-2008, 12:56 AM
I do it everyday. My only fry pans are cast iron and I am not giving them up come hell or high water. No scratches or black marks in 13 months of use. The stove came with our new construction house we bought last June. Not my first pick, but it works.

caleymama
07-30-2008, 09:57 AM
We do on a daily basis. We have fry pans, a double burner griddle, and a dutch oven. We do have dark rings around the burners, for lack of a better description, that we just can't seem to scrub off. I'm not sure if they're scratches or stains or some combination of the two. I think some of it is from the oil that was used to season the pans cooking onto the cooktop, if that makes sense. Honestly, it's not that pretty but we really don't care since we looove the cast iron. This stove came with the house when we bought it almost 2 years ago and like Katie said, it wouldn't be my first choice (give me gas burners, please!), but it's doing just fine in the meantime.

khm
07-30-2008, 10:00 AM
No, I haven't. My stove user's manual was all kinds of doom and gloom about using cast iron, so I never tried.

For those that have, what kind of bottom does your cast iron pan have? Mine have a thin distinct ring around the bottom, so the only part that would be in actual contact with the burner would be that thin ring. I worried that since the heat wasn't spread evenly across the whole surface that it would be an issue. (Either for scratching or damage from the intense heat being so concentrated at the ring.)