PDA

View Full Version : Best Places to Donate Baby Things?

writermama
07-30-2008, 08:15 AM
We're doing a major house organization project and I'm looking to finally let go of all of the maternity clothes and baby gear that I don't plan to use ever again. I've given things away to friends and I plan to sell some of the others, but now I'm looking for a good place to donate what's left.

Here's what I've got:

Maternity clothes

Baby clothes (some showing wear, but useable)

Misc. Baby things (sterilizer, avent sippy cups - no BPA)

Infant car seat and extra base still good for a year or two

Car seat stroller frame

Usually I give my clothes and kid clothes to Salvation Army or Goodwill, but I'm wondering if there's a more specific charity to help women in need that might be a better choice for maternity and baby gear. Does anyone have any ideas?

trales
07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
You might want to contact your local womens shelter. My mom volunteers for one and a lot of the women show up with just themselves and thier kids, no clothes, no toys, nothing. They give them everything they need. They always need more toys, clothes, and gear.

Puddy73
07-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Women's shelters, orphanages, Goodwill and the Ronald McDonald House are all possibilities. Some churches also have outreach programs for single moms. However, we haven't found any organization that will accept a used car seat, even a relatively new one in good condition.

proudsahmof3
07-30-2008, 10:43 AM
In our community we have non-profit organizations that educate and offer resources to pregnant and parenting teenagers. You may want to see if there is something like that in your area that you could donate to.

tamie
07-30-2008, 10:54 AM
If you are affiliated with any churches in your area, their missions groups might be able to suggest a shelter too or even a specific person in the community that needs help. The church would be the go between so the receiver would remain anonymous.

My Women's Group selects a mission project every year and our local group and the district missions group have always been a great resouce.

Goodluck!

swrc00
07-30-2008, 11:40 AM
In my area there is an organization that accepts donations to be given to foster care families. That might be an option. A consignment store might be a good option as well.

randomkid
07-30-2008, 12:06 PM
In our community we have non-profit organizations that educate and offer resources to pregnant and parenting teenagers. You may want to see if there is something like that in your area that you could donate to.

:yeahthat: We have a center like this and that's where I have taken maternity and baby clothes as well as other baby items. They even take things like socks. The center is for teenage girls who are pregnant or have babies. They help them finish school, find jobs and teach them parenting skills.

jhrabosk
07-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Up 'til 2 years, I took all my used baby things to a local home for babies whose families can't take them home yet. They accepted clothes, toys, extra diapers, bottles...pretty much anything.

Since then, I try to donate to a woman in town who collects (in affiliation with a church) and distributes to low-income families in my town. For some reason, particularly with baby clothes, I like to know that they're going directly to someone who needs them.