PDA

View Full Version : what stainless steel cleaner works well?

fauve01
07-30-2008, 12:20 PM
we just got our first stainless appliance (micro/oven combo) and i just realized i need special cleaner for it! what works the best?? and where can i buy it?

THANKS for any suggestions.

anne

SummerBaby
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
We built a new home a year ago and DH insisted on SS appliances. (I didn't want them due to the cleaning issue). Our compromise was that he would have to clean them. He's tried all sorts of specialty SS cleaners and the thing that has worked best for him are Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. You have to first clean with the damp Magic Eraser and then wipe up the moisture with a dry paper towel. It's the only thing that doesn't leave streaks. HTH!

Val
DD1 7/04
DD2 7/07

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
07-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Rubbing Alcohol. Works like a charm every time. My dining table is SS, and RA is the only thing that works.

WatchingThemGrow
07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
My favorite stuff came from Restoration Hardware. Stuff from the grocery was okay, but the other stuff lasted me 5 years!

khm
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
I think it matters what kind of SS you have. Our old fridge gave me fits, but the dishwasher and stove weren't as bad. Our new stuff at our new house is better too.

Stainless Steel Magic was not so magic in my book. Tried both aerosal and spray bottle.

I have some spray stuff that I got on super clearance at Home Depot. It is a white lotiony looking stuff with fragrance, but it works pretty darn good. I wish I'd have grabbed more! Method works ok.

I'll definitely be trying rubbing alcohol! That sounds like a great idea.

kcandz
07-31-2008, 02:57 PM
I thought magic eraser was a mild scrubber, like super fine sandpaper? I would worry that cumulatively the SS would not react well.

I tried vinegar and water, method and "green" brands, commercial "stainless steel" specialty cleaners of all types with varying, never ideal, success. I am excited to try rubbing alcohol.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
OMG PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS!

I have ruined so many things with that "magic eraser".

We built a new home a year ago and DH insisted on SS appliances. (I didn't want them due to the cleaning issue). Our compromise was that he would have to clean them. He's tried all sorts of specialty SS cleaners and the thing that has worked best for him are Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. You have to first clean with the damp Magic Eraser and then wipe up the moisture with a dry paper towel. It's the only thing that doesn't leave streaks. HTH!

Val
DD1 7/04
DD2 7/07