PDA

View Full Version : Piano help

heatherlynn
07-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Need help from you music teachers! I found a piano on craigslist for $50. I figure it's probably a good deal since we'll just be using it for lessons for the kids. The brand is Gulbransen and I did find some info on it, but I'm wondering if there's something I should be looking for when I go see it on Saturday. I'm sure it will need to be tuned, but is there anything else that may need to be done to it to make it functional (although the guy says it's fine and all the keys work).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

elliput
07-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Not a music teacher, I just play one on TV. :p
- Check that none of the keys stick when pressed and that they all make contact with the strings. When you hit each key listen to the sound, if the same touch is used, you should not hear any note louder than another.
- Check the action on the pedals. They should be slightly firm (not spongy, not rock hard).
-Take a look inside the case. Look for excessive wear of the hammer felt and for cracks in the hammer rods (I think that is what they are called). Also, check out the sound board for warping or cracks. Look for any strings that may have sprung.

If you like how the instruments sounds after confirming that everything looks good, I would say go for it!

HallsofVA
07-31-2008, 11:04 PM
It really depends on the age of the piano.

I grew up playing on a Gulbransen piano. It is a very old piano that used to have a player in it that was removed before we got it. It had belonged to the grandma of the people where we boarded our horses when I was 13 and started taking lessons, and they "loaned" it to me to practice on. And we've never been able to get rid of it since! (If you look at the Gulbransen website, and the history page, that piano looks very much like the one on the top of the history page, though the pedals are a bit more modern.) It has actual ivory white keys that have chipped and wood black keys, and the thing always sounded very tinny. If you live anywhere near Northern VA, I'd gladly give it to you for free!

But I wouldn't recommend an old piano like that to someone I knew. I've had a Kawai piano for 10 years now and absolutely love it. From the Gulbransen site I see they make more modern pianos, but if it's an old upright, run away!

deannanb
08-01-2008, 07:56 AM
call a music store and ask for the name of a piano tuner -
call them and ask them what they might suggest when looking at a used piano.

(also agreeing with with pp said about checking out all of the keys)

open the piano and look at the strings and the wood inside (bring a flashlight)
watch the hammers hit the strings -

the pads can all be replaced if necessary

heatherlynn
08-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks everyone for your help! I told the guy I'd buy it, so I guess I'm stuck. It is a Gulbransen (gulp!). Oh well, I guess for $50 it's still probably fine for at least a little while. He did say that his MIL plays the piano and that she played it and it was fine, but I guess we'll see when we pick it up tomorrow. Wish me luck and thanks again for the help!!

deannanb
08-01-2008, 09:14 AM
not sure you would "have" to buy the piano if you get there and it isn't what you thought it would be like.

- and don't forget about the cost to move it -
are you going to lift it onto a truck or hire a mover?

heatherlynn
08-01-2008, 09:21 AM
I guess that's true. My husband and a few friends are going to move it using DH's truck. Wish me luck!!

bubbaray
08-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm not a music teacher, but was finishing my level to allow me to be one (before I quit b/c I hated playing piano, but that's for the BP).

Check out these sites:

http://www.pianoexperts.com/assets/How_to_buy_a_piano.pdf
http://www.pianoshop.co.uk/info/ratings.php
http://www.pianoratings.org/

Old pianos can't necessarily be tuned. I'd have the piano checked out by a qualified tuner before you buy. And, no, I don't think you are committed at this point.

Also, I wouldn't move it yourselves. You could damage it. Not to mention, pianos are insanely heavy and your DH/his friends could get hurt.

I am a bit of a piano snob, grew up with a concert Steinway at home. I always really liked Yamahas and Kawai pianos. They are really pricey though. I've never played a Gulbransen, but have played lots of old pianos and they are HARD to play, especially compared to something like a Yamaha or Kawai.

Good luck!

lmintzer
08-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Not sure if this has already been suggested, but definitely get a copy of Larry Fine's "The Piano Book" (and the current supplement). See if you can borrow one if you'd rather not spend the $ to buy it. It's literally the "bible" of piano buying--will give you all the info. you need on how to asses and older piano.