PDA

View Full Version : Dang anyone can find you on

bethie_73
07-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Facebook.

Yep I was sucked in and now I need to have as MANY virtual friends as possible. :ROTFLMAO: So I really just wanted to be able to "write" my nieces and nephews, but I can not believe how many IRL people I know that are on it. And here I thought I was too old :jammin:

lilycat88
07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Facebook.

... And here I thought I was too old :jammin:

At my 20th high school reunion in May most of us decided to join facebook to keep in touch easier. We're all in the 38-40 range. We've had great fun! I'm a couple of "friends" away from having 100 and I'm scouring my memory banks and the internet to fine just enough to tip me over. It's sick! :)

Twoboos
07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm getting bugged by a surprising number of friends to get on facebook! I thought I was too old, too. Apparently NOT!

citymama
07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Make sure to be careful about your privacy settings because the default settings are shockingly lax. I'm able to see TMI about too many people I know - and some that I don't! Esp. if you belong to a network - the default is that anybody in the network has access to your entire profile.

pinkmomagain
07-31-2008, 06:29 PM
I just got hooked...hasn't got annoying yet....but I did have to look up some faces in my yearbook that I just did not remember!

beansprout13
07-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Make sure to be careful about your privacy settings because the default settings are shockingly lax.

Wow, thanks for that heads up. I just checked the settings on my Facebook account (which, I am totally addicted to BTW) and I was really surprised as to what the default settings were. I made some major changes. Thanks again.

eliasmom
07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
I love love LOVE Facebook. It's almost unhealthy. I was so reluctant to join. (I believe I said to one of my friends: "What am I, 12 yrs old?")

That being said: go to privacy and adjust your settings accordingly.

And... if there is anyone who you DON'T want to find you, you can actually block them if they're on Facebook already.

lizajane
07-31-2008, 08:44 PM
um, totally worked as hard as i could to get 100 friends as fast as possible. (um, nerd?? yep.)

now i want to block someone on purpose! just to be eeeeeeeeeeeevil!! ha ha ha ha ha!!!:icon_twisted:
:rolleye0014:

MartiesMom2B
07-31-2008, 09:02 PM
There's nothing like having your 11th grade English teacher challenging you to Text Twirl at least once a day.

Her son is the best friend of my cousin so we keep in touch. Still it's my English teacher.

MontrealMum
07-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Yes, Facebook will totally suck you in. But the draw lessens after a bit. And be VERY careful with the privacy settings. Check each application when you add it. I did some searching late one night for friends of mine and ended up - via friends of friends - finding friends of my mom!!! People I didn't even know HAD computers, much less knew how to use them. Everyone's on it!

clc053103
08-01-2008, 08:49 AM
we call it Crackbook! So addictive!

SammyeGail
08-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Arg!! I can't find any of my old friends!! Do people in the south not use facebook, lol?

Sam

kijip
08-03-2008, 03:55 AM
I signed up for a school thing recently. I immediately loved the damn thing because some lost friends from school and I found each other right away. Pretty cool. That said, I don't do much there. But anything that can get me back in touch with some of these peeps is ok with me. And I expected to never use it except for this class. I am only 28 but I thought it was for people who were 15 tops...guess not.

citymama
08-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I am only 28 but I thought it was for people who were 15 tops...guess not.

You're a spring chicken, my dear! My 70 year old aunt is on FB - and so are many of her friends! ;)

MNmomtobe
08-03-2008, 01:06 PM
At my 20th high school reunion in May most of us decided to join facebook to keep in touch easier. We're all in the 38-40 range. We've had great fun! I'm a couple of "friends" away from having 100 and I'm scouring my memory banks and the internet to fine just enough to tip me over. It's sick! :)

So, does it make you look like a loser if you don't have a lot of friends? :P
I considered joining but would it be a bad idea to join if there is someone that you don't want to find you? I have a brother who I don't speak to that doesn't know (as far as I know) that I have a DD.

Globetrotter
08-03-2008, 04:23 PM
You can block specific people from contacting you, but they would be able to see your profile picture, I believe. Not sure how that works.

I too got sucked into this finally, after ignoring several requests to join. It's fun to look up old friends and know what your current friends are up to, but most of my close friends aren't on it yet. They are slowing joining, though.

So, does it make you look like a loser if you don't have a lot of friends? :P
I considered joining but would it be a bad idea to join if there is someone that you don't want to find you? I have a brother who I don't speak to that doesn't know (as far as I know) that I have a DD.