Drag0nflygirl
07-31-2008, 05:09 PM
:shake: Just gross.

JTsMom
07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
:32: Disgusting.

lisams
07-31-2008, 05:30 PM
Score for the corn industry. Loss for the consumers. It really gets to me that big industries and their big money have so much influence over government regulations. Another example of our health not being the top priority. And we're supposed to trust them, NOT!

I stocked up on what I thought was healthy cereal at my local grocery store since they had a huge sale and I brought it home to find out they all have HFCS. Raisin Bran, come on! I should have known better and read the labels while I was there.

twindad
07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
So disappointing!!

ThreeofUs
07-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Score for the corn industry. Loss for the consumers. It really gets to me that big industries and their big money have so much influence over government regulations.

:yeahthat: Though I'm betting that all the sugar producers would be in trouble, too, if the FDA decided that HCFS wasn't natural. From their point of view, it's a slippery slope.

From my point of view, YUCK.

niccig
07-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Score for the corn industry. Loss for the consumers. It really gets to me that big industries and their big money have so much influence over government regulations. Another example of our health not being the top priority. And we're supposed to trust them, NOT!

I told DH I was getting natural products for cleaning, and for our bath products. He scoffed and told me that the chemicals have been used for years and they wouldn't be in the products if they were really unsafe. I asked if he truly believed that the government had our best interests and health as their top priority - he couldn't give me an answer. This is another example to show him. Money and lobbying wins out, health looses because it's not profitable.

brittone2
07-31-2008, 06:31 PM
FWIW, I've also read that the corn/food products industry is about to start a huge PR campaign drumming up how HFCS is just as "natural" as honey, etc. and poses no health concerns. Get ready for the media blitz in coming months. :32:

elliput
07-31-2008, 06:39 PM
FWIW, I've also read that the corn/food products industry is about to start a huge PR campaign drumming up how HFCS is just as "natural" as honey, etc. and poses no health concerns. Get ready for the media blitz in coming months. :32:

Yeah, large mechanical processing facilities look so much like bees. I get the two confused all the time. :rolleye0014:

cvanbrunt
07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
I taught a winter term course once about food in this country. I used Eric Schlosser's fabulous "Fast Food Nation" and this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Land-Americans-Became-Fattest/dp/0618164723

which nicely describes the history of how HFCS came to be in the US. It is a really interesting and a quick read. I highly recommend both books if this is a topic that interests you.

caheinz
07-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah, large mechanical processing facilities look so much like bees. I get the two confused all the time. :rolleye0014:

:ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:

Hmmm... maybe that explains what was happening to all of the honeybees last year... wouldn't want any competition, you know?

writermama
08-01-2008, 11:09 AM
FWIW, I've also read that the corn/food products industry is about to start a huge PR campaign drumming up how HFCS is just as "natural" as honey

Well, I suppose from their point of view, it's not SUPERnatural, so it must be natural.

"Natural" has long been pretty much meaningless as far as labeling regulations are concerned, but this is still a disappointing decision.

icunurse
08-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Slightly off-topic FYI -- I just read in Vegetarian times (last month's issue) that American Crystal Co will be getting sugar from sugar beets designed to withstand Roundup. The Organic Consumers Association said that since sugar beets account for 1/2 of the nations granulated sugar production, genetically engineered products will soon be in just about every non-organic, multiple ingredient product.

So, no sugar, no HFCS, no artificial sweeteners....I better start saving those bees! :)

brittone2
08-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Well, I suppose from their point of view, it's not SUPERnatural, so it must be natural.

"Natural" has long been pretty much meaningless as far as labeling regulations are concerned, but this is still a disappointing decision.

I agree. I've never really put weight into the "natural" label anyway, but I guess I'm just saddened by the FDA being so driven by industry. It isn't a shocker, but it saddens me.

A few months ago they were saying HFCS was not natural and they've since reversed course. I'm sure money played no part at all :32: in their reversal.

kijip
08-01-2008, 05:58 PM
So I can eat Skittles and call them natural? Rock on.

:32:

Crazy decision.

mudder17
08-01-2008, 09:08 PM

:hysterical:

I admit, when I see the "natural" label on foods, I will take a look. But the first thing I do when I take a look at it is to look at the label. Sigh.